German/English (Install -> Customised MediaWiki)

-Thanx for all the answers before-
M.Kiberu
Re: Some questions [ In reply to ]
On Dec 17, 2003, at 10:01, M. Kiberu wrote:
> since you helped me so gratefully, some more questions.
> 1. How can I clean up the Database (MySQL).
> Actually it's the History (visions).

I'm not sure what you mean here.

> 2. How can I change the second (standard) Title on every new Page
> ("aus Wikipedia, der freien Enzyklopädie").
> ("from Wikipedia, the free Encyclopaedia" Eng.???)

If using $wgUseDatabaseMessages, edit [[MediaWiki:fromwikipedia]]. If
not, edit LanguageDe.php and find the line that defines the string for
'fromwikipedia' and change it.

> 3. And do I really need to write or to copy the whole Help for
> Mediawiki
> (it was completely empty).

You probably want to reference here:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User's_Guide

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Some questions [ In reply to ]
M. Kiberu kirjoittaa keskiviikkona, 17. joulukuuta 2003, kello 20:01:

> Hello List,
>
> since you helped me so gratefully, some more questions.
> 1. How can I clean up the Database (MySQL).
> Actually it's the History (visions).

Manually: Copy each page to your clipboard you want to lose the history
for. Delete the page and Recreate it from the clipboard. This way
everyone can see that you did that which might be perceived as nice or
not-nice.

Automatically: Study the database structure carefully and craft the
right SQL statements to make the modification you want to do. Please do
tell people that you have modified something, so they know that the
right policy is to not really trust anything the history says. If the
install is public, archived copies may be used to detect this which
will put you into a bad light for those that can access this detail
level of information which in turn widens the so called "digital gap"
between those who know that you are a crook, who guess you are a crook
and those who have no clue.

or

You could use mysqldump -uusername -ppassword databasename > file.sql
and edit that with emacs or whatever tool you have available

drop and create the database in MySQL

and

mysql -uusername -ppassword databasename < file.sql to import the
modified data.

> 2. How can I change the second (standard) Title on every new Page
> ("aus Wikipedia, der freien Enzyklopädie").
> ("from Wikipedia, the free Encyclopaedia" Eng.???)

Last time I checked it can be modified in Language.php which can be
found in the subdirectory named languages

> 3. And do I really need to write or to copy the whole Help for
> Mediawiki
> (it was completely empty).
Depends on how friendly you want to be to wiki users

i hope this helps. sincerely Juxo

ps. If i have a "kick me, i'm stupid"-note on my back or something i'd
really appreciate if you folks telling me about it. The same goes for
if you perceive that i smell bad, though that is much more subjective
and might amuse some people.