Wiki Farm for MediaWiki
I am trying to set up a special purpose wiki where only members of a
special interest group can edit. I really like the MediaWiki that Wikipedia
uses, and Wikipedia is an excellent example to show people how a Wiki
works. Does anyone know of a Wiki Farm that uses mediaWiki?

Paul Studier <Studier@PaulStudier.com>
When you work, you create. When you win, you just take from the loser.
For an explanation, see http://paulstudier.com/win
Re: Wiki Farm for MediaWiki [ In reply to ]
Paul Studier wrote:

> I am trying to set up a special purpose wiki where only members of a
> special interest group can edit. I really like the MediaWiki that
> Wikipedia uses, and Wikipedia is an excellent example to show people
> how a Wiki works. Does anyone know of a Wiki Farm that uses mediaWiki?
>

> Paul Studier <Studier@PaulStudier.com>
> When you work, you create. When you win, you just take from the loser.
> For an explanation, see http://paulstudier.com/win

I am not sure about what a "wiki farm" is: perhaps could you explain it?
Nevertheless, C-Arbre (a GPLed project on which I am working with a
friend) uses the Media Wiki engine for handling wiki (although still in
a crude way) : http://www.freshmeat.net/projects/c-arbre/
It also adds permissions and ownership to the wiki pages, so that only
people of a given group can edit the pages.
Re: Wiki Farm for MediaWiki [ In reply to ]
At 04:00 AM 12/9/2003, you wrote:

>From: Fabrice Philibert-Caillat <fphilibert@realink.org>
>Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wiki Farm for MediaWiki
>To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
> <mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org>
>
>Paul Studier wrote:
>
> > I am trying to set up a special purpose wiki where only members of a
> > special interest group can edit. I really like the MediaWiki that
> > Wikipedia uses, and Wikipedia is an excellent example to show people
> > how a Wiki works. Does anyone know of a Wiki Farm that uses mediaWiki?
> >
>I am not sure about what a "wiki farm" is: perhaps could you explain it?
>Nevertheless, C-Arbre (a GPLed project on which I am working with a
>friend) uses the Media Wiki engine for handling wiki (although still in
>a crude way) : http://www.freshmeat.net/projects/c-arbre/
>It also adds permissions and ownership to the wiki pages, so that only
>people of a given group can edit the pages.

A wiki farm is a host for many wiki's. Sometimes they are commercial and
charge a fee. An example is http://www.editme.com/. I am looking for one
that hosts MediaWiki based Wikis.

I have a shared hosting website and have been unable to install MediaWiki on
it. I probably could install it on a dedicated host, but that would cost
$200/mo. Or I could buy a Linux based computer and use my DSL line. This
would be slow, and I could not provide 24/7 support to make sure the system
stayed up.

Re: Wiki Farm for MediaWiki [ In reply to ]

PS> A wiki farm is a host for many wiki's. Sometimes they are
PS> commercial and charge a fee. An example is
PS> http://www.editme.com/. I am looking for one that hosts
PS> MediaWiki based Wikis.

I don't believe there are any. At least, if there are, they aren't
listed here:

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sites_using_MediaWiki

PS> I have a shared hosting website and have been unable to
PS> install MediaWiki on it. I probably could install it on a
PS> dedicated host, but that would cost $200/mo.

Are you the guy who was having problems getting MediaWiki set up
because you only had a Web-based interface?

So, here's what I think you need to run MediaWiki:

* PHP 4.2.x
* MySQL
* shell access (through ssh or telnet or whatever) so you can run
the install script
* TeX and all that hoo-haw if you have to have math support

There are tons of Web hosting companies that would provide this. PHP
and MySQL are almost de rigeur at this point.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/
Re: Wiki Farm for MediaWiki [ In reply to ]
> A wiki farm is a host for many wiki's. Sometimes they are commercial and
> charge a fee. An example is http://www.editme.com/. I am looking for one
> that hosts MediaWiki based Wikis.
>
> I have a shared hosting website and have been unable to install MediaWiki on
> it. I probably could install it on a dedicated host, but that would cost
> $200/mo. Or I could buy a Linux based computer and use my DSL line. This
> would be slow, and I could not provide 24/7 support to make sure the system
> stayed up.

I don't know of a Mediawiki farm, but I don't see why a shared hosting
environment would not work. Maybe you can post the problem you had here
or the wikitech list.

There is a 4th option though besides shared hosting, dedicated hosting,
and using your DSL line. You can run your own "virtual" linux box for
around $20/month using User-Mode Linux (UML), but you'd need to know or
learn about linux system administration. See this page:
http://holton.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/UserModeLinux
I'm using UML hosting to move my wiki and set up other wikis too. I'm
hoping to switch to the MediaWiki engine if the memory & processor
requirements aren't too steep.

-Doug
Wiki Farm for MediaWiki [ In reply to ]

>Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:34:30 -0600
>From: Doug Holton <d.holton@vanderbilt.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wiki Farm for MediaWiki
>To: mediawiki-l@Wikimedia.org
>
>There is a 4th option though besides shared hosting, dedicated hosting,
>and using your DSL line. You can run your own "virtual" linux box for
>around $20/month using User-Mode Linux (UML), but you'd need to know or
>learn about linux system administration. See this page:
>http://holton.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/UserModeLinux
>I'm using UML hosting to move my wiki and set up other wikis too. I'm
>hoping to switch to the MediaWiki engine if the memory & processor
>requirements aren't too steep.
>
>-Doug

Thank you for this information. My problems are that my web host restricts
MySQL so the users scrip can not grant the permissions. I also have
problems which appear to be caused by my inability to log on as
root. Finally, and most of all, I am quite ignorant about Linux, MySQL,
PHP, etc.

Therefore I bought a computer so I can experiment and educate myself on
Linux, etc. Once I am halfway competent, I will look for a host.