Mailing List Archive

Upgrade to latest release.
Hello all,

I've just finished upgrading to the latest release, most things seem to
be working as expected but there are a few little problems:
* The Message that should appear telling people that they can't edit
because the database is locked doesn't work. Instead you get "Fatal
error: Call to undefined function: file_get_contents() in
/home/sca/public_html/cunnan/OutputPage.php on line 484"

* The misspellings tool is giving false positives.
http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/wiki.phtml?title=Special:
Maintenance&subfunction=mispeelings shows spelling mistakes on
http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/wiki/Rosewater that are not there. (this
was happening before the upgrade as well).

* The article count has started going up again after having stopped
around 794 before the upgrade. What is the current definition of an
article?

As for the upgrade itself:
* running upgrade.php gave the following output: "ALTER TABLE ipblocks
ADD ipb_auto tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', ADD ipb_id int(8) NOT
NULL auto_increment,ADD PRIMARY KEY (ipb_id);
Creating interwiki table:
** error around line 1-10 in maintenance/archives/patch-interwiki.sql:
You have an error in your SQL syntax near ';
' at line 7
ok
Adding default interwiki definitions:
** error around line 1-110 in maintenance/interwiki.sql: You have an
error in your SQL syntax near ';
' at line 108
ok
Updating indexes to 20031107:
** error around line 1-9 in maintenance/archives/patch-indexes.sql: You
have an error in your SQL syntax near ';
' at line 4
ok
Copying files...
Done." Running the sql scripts manually fixed this.

* Upgrade.php copied the wikipedia logo over my custom logo.

Tobin.
Re: Upgrade to latest release. [ In reply to ]
On Nov 14, 2003, at 17:17, Tobin Richard wrote:
> I've just finished upgrading to the latest release, most things seem
> to be working as expected but there are a few little problems:
> * The Message that should appear telling people that they can't edit
> because the database is locked doesn't work. Instead you get "Fatal
> error: Call to undefined function: file_get_contents() in
> /home/sca/public_html/cunnan/OutputPage.php on line 484"

You have an old PHP; file_get_contents() was added in 4.3.0. If you
don't want to upgrade, you may have other problems, but you can work
around this one by adding a compatibility function:

if(!function_exists("file_get_contents")) {
function file_get_contents( $filename ) {
return implode( "", file( $filename ) );
}
}

> * The misspellings tool is giving false positives.
> http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/wiki.phtml?title=Special:
> Maintenance&subfunction=mispeelings shows spelling mistakes on
> http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/wiki/Rosewater that are not there. (this
> was happening before the upgrade as well).

Mispeelings uses the search database to do its work; you might check
that it's been updated properly. If you do a search for these, do they
also show up?

> * The article count has started going up again after having stopped
> around 794 before the upgrade. What is the current definition of an
> article?

Currently, any page in the main namespace that is not a redirect and
contains "[[", indicating a wiki link. You can recalculate the article
count if it's off like so:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM cur
WHERE cur_namespace=0 AND cur_is_redirect=0 AND cur_text like '%[[%';

UPDATE site_states SET ss_good_articles=<the result from above>;

> As for the upgrade itself:
> * running upgrade.php gave the following output: "ALTER TABLE ipblocks
> ADD ipb_auto tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', ADD ipb_id int(8) NOT
> NULL auto_increment,ADD PRIMARY KEY (ipb_id);
> Creating interwiki table:
> ** error around line 1-10 in maintenance/archives/patch-interwiki.sql:
> You have an error in your SQL syntax near ';
> ' at line 7

Hmm it's supposed to remove the semicolon before feeding the commands
to mysql.

Quick check: what operating system are you using? (On the server, and
on whatever you unpacked the archive with.) If there was any Windows
around it _may_ have messed with line endings and gotten confused. Just
good to know the situation before I go diving into the code again.

> * Upgrade.php copied the wikipedia logo over my custom logo.

As it will overwrite any custom code or style sheets. Either ensure
that the stuff you want is in the source package before you use
install.php / upgrade.php, or make updates manually.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Upgrade to latest release. [ In reply to ]
On 15/11/2003, at 12:35 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

>> * The misspellings tool is giving false positives.
>> http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/wiki.phtml?title=Special:
>> Maintenance&subfunction=mispeelings shows spelling mistakes on
>> http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/wiki/Rosewater that are not there. (this
>> was happening before the upgrade as well).
>
> Mispeelings uses the search database to do its work; you might check
> that it's been updated properly. If you do a search for these, do they
> also show up?

Yes they do. How should I go about fixing this?

>> As for the upgrade itself:
>> * running upgrade.php gave the following output: "ALTER TABLE
>> ipblocks ADD ipb_auto tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', ADD ipb_id
>> int(8) NOT NULL auto_increment,ADD PRIMARY KEY (ipb_id);
>> Creating interwiki table:
>> ** error around line 1-10 in
>> maintenance/archives/patch-interwiki.sql: You have an error in your
>> SQL syntax near ';
>> ' at line 7
>
> Hmm it's supposed to remove the semicolon before feeding the commands
> to mysql.
>
> Quick check: what operating system are you using? (On the server, and
> on whatever you unpacked the archive with.) If there was any Windows
> around it _may_ have messed with line endings and gotten confused.
> Just good to know the situation before I go diving into the code
> again.

The server is running Linux (2.4.18-11smp).

Thanks for the help.
Tobin.