Mailing List Archive

Possible bug in install.php from mediawiki-20031107.tar.gz
Hi,

I'm trying to install mediawiki-20031107.tar.gz
(https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=196082) on a
Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable box. System configuration: Kernel
2.4.22-xfs SMP, PHP4 4:4.1.2-6, Apache httpd 1.3.26-0woody3, MySQL
server 3.23.49-8.5. The Debian package php4-cgi is installed; the httpd
and php are working properly.

The install.php script starts installing WikiMedia in /var/www/wiki, as
instructed in AdminSettings.php; then it claims to create the database
"wikidb" and asks for the database's root password. After typing it in,
the script seems to hang in a loop, saying: "Warning: Wrong parameter
count for fgets() in /root/MediaWiki-Install/install.php on line 197".

This references to the following section in install.php:

while ( ! feof( $fp ) ) {
$line = trim( fgets( $fp ) );
$sl = strlen( $line ) - 1;
fclose( $fp );

Several files were being copied to /var/www/wiki/, including the
directories ../style and ../upload. But, in MySQL monitor, "show
databases" finds no "wikidb".

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong; if it's
really line 197, maybe the fgets() statement is missing a second
parameter; this should be optional beginning with PHP 4.2.0 according to
the docs (I'm running PHP4 4:4.1.2-6 and INSTALL recommends PHP 4.3.2 or
later). But, of course, maybe I'm doing something else wrong.

However, is there a workaround for this, or should I try to manually set
up MediaWiki according to the Brion Vibber's post
(http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2003-October/000004.html)?

Thanks & greetings,
-asb
Re: Possible bug in install.php from mediawiki-20031107.tar.gz [ In reply to ]
On Nov 12, 2003, at 18:21, Agon S. Buchholz wrote:
> ... PHP4 4:4.1.2-6,...
>
> The install.php script starts installing WikiMedia in /var/www/wiki,
> as instructed in AdminSettings.php; then it claims to create the
> database "wikidb" and asks for the database's root password. After
> typing it in, the script seems to hang in a loop, saying: "Warning:
> Wrong parameter count for fgets() in
> /root/MediaWiki-Install/install.php on line 197".

It's failing to set up the database because it's unable to read in the
SQL commands because fgets() fails.

Workaround for the fgets problem on <4.2:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2003-October/006651.html

Various other things may be broken on such an old PHP, I'd highly
recommend installing a current version. I'm rather surprised that
debian-testing's version is so old (february '02)... unstable has
4.3.3.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)