Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Query about membership to Wikimedia Chapters
One thing further I would like to point out. Increasingly I have been getting private emails advising me that those who wish to understand who or why a decision has been made by the Committee is a form of stalking, and against the UCoC.

I think it is very concerning that an excellent initiative such as this is being weaponised to prevent reasonable requests about decisions made by the WMAU Committee. It would mean, for instance, that asking for your private information and any correspondence about decision made about yourself might be seen as a form of harassment. The irony is that decisions made about existing members or people attempting to gain membership of the WMAU is being kept complete opaque and preventing any right of reply against adverse commentary against those people. It means that the Committee who directly reviews these things have no accountability.

I am increasingly concerned there is a culture of exclusivity and discrimination within the WMAU committee. In fact, it might be interesting if a privacy request was indeed sent to find out about what is being said, per the Australian citizens legal right.

I also raise as a concern that the committee is unwilling to respond in writing in a timely manner to these requests. What does seem to be happening is they want private phone calls to provide responses, thus leaving no record of decision making.

Chris