Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Query about membership to Wikimedia Chapters
WMAU is a registered charity in Victoria state and a registered NFP
and so complies with guidelines from the Charities and Not-for-profits
Commission. WMAU is therefore required to comply with the Privacy Act
1988 and the Australian Privacy Principles.[1] This includes how an
individual can access documents about them, their chapter membership
or indeed all discussions about their membership rejection.

As a well managed charity, WMAU are set up to understand and correctly
respond to requests for information. Here's a draft neutral access
request that could be done by email:

To: Wikimedia Australia
Subject: Access Request under the Australian Privacy Principles

I am writing to request access to all correspondence and documents
relating to my membership for Wikimedia Australia.

Under the Australian Privacy Principles, I have the right to access my
personal information that is held by Wikimedia Australia. This
includes any correspondence and documents that were used in the
decision to reject my membership.

I would like to receive a copy of all of this information in
electronic format. Please send the information to the email address
provided above.

I understand that you have 30 days to respond to my request. If you
have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

[Contact details]

Links
1. https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/australian-privacy-principles/australian-privacy-principles-guidelines/chapter-1-app-1-open-and-transparent-management-of-personal-information