Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: [Announcement] Establishment of Wikimedians of the Asia Pacific User Group
+1 to Subhashish's points of view.

I have another point about the nomenclature. How can three Wikimedians from
just one country, Bangladesh in this case, get to form a group that by its
very nomenclature represents a complete region, which includes a very large
number of communities, without any engagement with, consensus of, and
participation of all these communities?

The chosen name itself gives the impression that the group is to fulfill
the role of umbrella organisation over all the communities of Asia and
Pacific. Nomenclature matters.

So, while three individual Wikimedians are welcome to start a user group,
they are not the representative of these communities and any user group
that they set up if recognised by the Aff Comm should be appropriately
named.

Should a user group for Asia Pacific be created, then it should be with the
express participation of all the communities of the Asia Pacific region.

User:AshLin (en:WP)