Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: [Announcement] Establishment of Wikimedians of the Asia Pacific User Group
I want to write with the spirit that I respect the co-founders of the
Wikimedians of the Asia Pacific User Group (WAPAC) as individual volunteer
fellow Wikimedians. Still, I strongly disagree with creating this user
group. It seems like forming a new user group where three co-founders have
some conflict with Wikimedia Bangladesh. But instead of finding ways to
resolve those conflicts, they, all from Bangladesh, started a parallel user
group and called it Wikimedians of the Asia Pacific User Group.

For context, the Asia-Pacific region includes over 45 economies and is home
to 60% of the world's population that speaks over 2,000 languages. I highly
doubt that forming a user group due to unsolved interpersonal conflicts is
a good idea. There is, of course, a lack of conversations with communities
of this large region and a lack of regional representation. Not to
mention, ESEAP, the organiser of Wikimania this year, had no clue. There
are many ways to solve interpersonal conflicts, but creating a user group
without a real reason is not one.

Subhashish