Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: [Announcement] Establishment of Wikimedians of the Asia Pacific User Group
Hey Aishik,

The first action you need to make is to move the meta wiki page to Draft
page and find a working name. Maybe *Wikipedia Project West and Central
Asia.*

ESEAP started as ESEA in 2014 during Wikimania London 2014 (Source:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ESEA_Meetup/MeetingMinutes) . I am not
there as I was just starting my work in Singapore. The concept of a
regional collaboration started 9 years ago when multiple countries agree to
work on something, not one part of a country, not two countries, but four
countries. Then on, all blood, sweat and tears to reach a consensus of 18
Wikimedia communities (plus 15 more we have to explore in the Pacific
islands) to come together and reach an agreement to formally build an ESEAP
regional hub.

We are open to collaboration but please start a bold confidence building
measure to earn our trust.

To Movement Charter Drafting Committee,

Despite absence of an ESEAP person to the large committee, we humbly
suggest that you finally settle the definition of user groups, advocacy
groups, alliance groups, online project groups and all others to avoid any
ambiguity as it creates confusion to partners and general public; unfair
competition and tension amongst Wikimedians. We originally have charters
before but now the terminology of a user group became insanely
disorganized. Once it is drafted, it will be voted upon the general
community anyways.

To Everyone,

The theme of Wikimania 2023 is Diversity, Collaboration, Future. We aim
this year's event be another milestone for people to meet and do a similar
experience Wikimedians in 2014 to form regional and thematic
collaborations. We respect diversity but we discourage highly divisive
discussions.

Kind regards,

*Butch Bustria*
Wikimedia East, South East Asia and the Pacific