Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: activity around Wikimedia.ru
Hello Yaroslav,

Let me get this straight: there's no links between the Russian Wikipedia
community and the chapter, but you left the Community because of your
conflict with the Director of the chapter?

I disagree that the chapter is useless. Yes, it was always used by Medeyko
for personal gains, but the current director, Stas Kozlovsky did a lot of
advocacy for free knowledge in the Russian Parliament, Duma. I believe it's
one of the main reasons why Wikipedia is not blocked in Russia yet.

He also promoted Wikipedia among universities students.

The chapter supports communities of the "small languages" projects,
organises conferences (disclosure: I was a keynote speaker on the last
annual conference), etc

I think that only people who actually live in Russia can estimate the
chapter impact, and we should not forget the usual tension between the
online and offline parts of the Movement. I'm an online person, so it took
me a while to get what useful things offline people are doing instead of
writing articles.

Kind regards,

Victoria, Russian Wikipedia editor since 2006