From: James Heilman <jmh649@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2023 1:34 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Re: Graph Extension

And Tim has already done some amazing work getting OWID to function within a mediawiki install. One can see examples of these graphs here

https://www.mdwiki.org/wiki/WikiProjectMed:OWID#How_to_use

All about 3,000 graphs can be seen here

https://owidm.wmcloud.org/

James

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 7:49?PM Tim Moody <tim@timmoody.com<mailto:tim@timmoody.com>> wrote:
Dear Wikimedians,

Yesterday it was announced that the Graph extension has been disabled due to security vulnerabilities. Having the ability to visualize data is a powerful tool in presenting information within a wikipedia page, so it is great to have such an extension.

But this could be the moment to reach out to Our World in Data (https://ourworldindata.org/), who have an even better set of data visualization tools, based on similar libraries, that are actively maintained by a strong community. Perhaps there is an opportunity for collaboration. This will not be a short term solution, as forging OWID software into an extension will take some time and backwards compatibility is essential. But in the medium to long term it will result in better tools and more compelling wiki pages.

I hope the community and WMF will support such an approach.

Regards,

Tim Moody
Public archives at https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org/message/U5GEMXBCBHITM7NACGH2VVYDXVRVJVVA/