Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Re: Reflecting on my listening tour
Just to put things into perspective, in Argentina, earning USD 4000 a month
means you're the fucking king. You can rent almost any place you want, buy
food and all necessities, eat out everyday, and have enough left over to
buy some land or a house in a few years. By contrast, a quick Google search
suggests that renting a 1-bedroom apartment in NYC costs around USD 4000,
while in Silicon Valley costs around USD 2500. I may be wrong, but judging
from https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_salaries I can
see that nowadays, WMF salaries don't go below USD 200,000 per year, or USD
16,000 a month.

Rather than morally bankrupt, I'd argue that bringing salaries of even USD
5000 per month to people in countries like mine would be an economic
bonanza and a smart use of resources, a win-win situation. Regarding labor
laws, many non-US countries, like mine, have quite stringent labor laws
(such as Argentina, due to a long history of syndicalism). Perhaps it's
just a matter of finding countries that balance both criteria. I'm not sure
that expanding development to cheaper countries is the solution to all of
WMF software problems, but I think it could help a lot.