Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reflecting on my listening tour
Perhaps i am hyperfocused on technical debt in the sense of improving the
abstractions used in mediawiki. The phrasing around sustainability
especially leads me in that direction. However, technical debt is certainly
a broad concept and can mean a lot of things.

The common thread in the examples you cited seem to be things that have
fallen through the ownership cracks. I'm not sure its the case that
engineers aren't incentivized to fix these, so much as there are no natural
engineers to be incentivized due to team structure (scribunto is an
exception but i would disagree with that task's inclusion for reasons that
get off topic). On the other hand, perhaps a different incentivization
structure would encourage people to branch out more.

I think it is especially telling that 3 (or 4 even) of these tasks are
multimedia related, given that wmf hasn't had a multimedia team in a very
long time [SDC does not count], and definitely not one focused on the
backend. There are quite a few multimedia related areas in desperate need
of love (it is 2023 and video uploads are limited to 4gb with the flakiest
upload process known to man).

It was also pointed out to me on irc, that many critical workflows in the
community depend on toolforge tools that have very limited volunteer
maintainership. A sort of https://xkcd.com/2347/ situation. Just because
they're not "production" we often pretend they don't exist. Regardless of
how we label them, in the end it doesn't make a difference to the end user,
and the fragility of that ecosystem is a form of technical debt that is
often overlooked.

So i guess it all depends on what is meant by "technical debt"
--
Brian