Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Mozilla's social media pledge
Hi,

On 4/7/23 18:17, Dan Szymborski wrote:
> It doesn't make sense to even talk about actually getting
> involved without discussing *which* of the multitude of Mastodon
> instances to "join," <snip> There's a lot of legwork to be
> done first, as opposed to the simpler task of signing up for, say, an
> alternative of similar construction, like Spoutible.

To be clear, this discussion started in December, which has been more
than enough time for our friends and allies at Mozilla, Creative
Commons, Internet Archive, OpenStreetMap and plenty more to set up their
Mastodon presences. There's no excuse for the WMF to not have figured
out which server to sign up on (and I don't think that was ever the
issue anyways).

In any case, I'm primarily writing this email to let people know that we
have started a community-run Wikipedia Mastodon account, which you all
are invited to follow at <https://wikis.world/@wikipedia>, and more
importantly contribute to, details of which are available at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/@Wikipedia>. I hope that collectively
we'll be able to address the issues that have been raised on this list
in the past regarding community involvement and participation in social
media.

We're also celebrating the six month anniversary of Wikis World ("a
Mastodon server for wiki enthusiasts") today. If you haven't already,
now is a great time to sign up - instructions at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikis_World>.

-- Kunal / Legoktm