Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: A request for recommendation.
Hello Ma?gorzata,

I always find "The Wikipedia Adventure
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:The_Wikipedia_Adventure>" super
helpful when I'm training new wikimedians. It was released in 2013 and
surely was ahead of time. Still today, I find it unparallel to any other
learning resource. I have onboarded more than a hundred new wikimedians
giving the Wikipedia Adventure as an assignment in my training
sessions. Wikidata
tours <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Tours> are something similar
for starting with wikidata.

If you want to find some really user-friendly tutorial videos, the movement
is lacking there. People are creating video tutorials but they are all
scattered and most people are reinventing the wheel. As I know, there is no
or very little learning, evaluation, and development, or collective
knowledge regarding the curriculum and the impact of Wikimedia tutorials.

Wikimedia Australia just released a playlist
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiREA9Gw0flnYN6QkvnLRWegebOn_uHYQ>
9 days ago focusing on women's representation on Wikipedia, and I found it
really well made.
I'm also collaborating with Turkish wikimedian-designer, Caner on a
Wikipedia tutorial project
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Kurmanbek/sandbox> where the videos
will be in Turkish language. I helped him with almost the whole outline and
I'm not satisfied with myself writing the outline. I need to know more
about learning and outcomes of similar previous projects, standing on the
shoulders of the giant is something that I need more than directly starting
from scratch.

You can also use the resources from the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom
program
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/Reading_Wikipedia_in_the_Classroom/Modules>.
We, the certified trainers use these resources when we train high school
teachers.

Best,
Rafi