Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Announcement - WikiIndaba Conference Host 2023 and 2024
Dear friends,

On behalf of WISCom
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Indaba_Steering_Committee> I'm
pleased to announce that the next WikiIndaba conference will take place in
Agadir, Morocco on 3rd and 4th of November 2023. Following this, the
following year's conference will take place in Cape Town, South Africa on 1st
and 2nd of November 2024.

Going forward, we have adopted a system of selecting two host countries
which will cover two successive years of the conference. This will ease the
burden and save time of having to deliberate in a long selection process
after each conference. It will also give time for the next host to prepare
themselves for the conference.

To ensure a fair regional rotation, we were deliberate with our selection
process. We invited only affiliates from Francophone speaking countries to
express interest in hosting the conference. This was followed by a
selection criterion which looked at several factors including the capacity
to host the conference, if there were elections this year in the bidding
country, capacity of the affiliate as well as motivations why the bidder
wanted to host the conference.

The WikiIndaba conference brings together Wikimedians and open source
enthusiasts from across the African continent and diaspora to share
experiences and learn from each other. We look forward to seeing you at the
next WikiIndaba conference.

Please be on the lookout for a survey from this year’s host in the next
coming weeks, as they finalise their preparations for the conference.

Best regards,

Bobby Shabangu

(WISCom)