Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Closing the comment period for the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Draft Guidelines and next step
Hi,

There are various unanswered queries on the UCoC talk pages.[1][2] I wonder
if you or someone else involved in drafting the UCoC could comment.

Several of these queries concern the wording of the Harassment section, in
particular the "Disclosure of personal data (Doxing)" subsection included
therein.[3] This subsection currently reads as follows (my emphasis):

"Disclosure of personal data (Doxing): sharing other contributors' private
information, such as name, place of employment, physical or email address
without their explicit consent either on the Wikimedia projects or
elsewhere, *or sharing information concerning their Wikimedia activity
outside the projects*."

1. As written, this literally means that Wikimedians will not be allowed to
share "information concerning [other contributors'] Wikimedia activity
outside the projects". While this may not be the intended meaning, it is
the literal meaning – and reminiscent of Fight Club: "The first rule of
Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club."

Could you comment? Do you really mean to say that contributors are not
allowed to communicate with any outside person about what happens on the
projects?

How would this affect bloggers like the following:

https://genderdesk.wordpress.com/

https://thewikipedian.net/

https://wikipediocracy.com/2021/11/22/wikipedia-loves-stolen-art/

Or is this a case of the wording having gone awry?

2. The subsection mentions "place of employment". There are pages on
Wikipedia, in project space and article space, that discuss contributors'
place of employment. Examples are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Congressional_staffer_edits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangemoody_editing_of_Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki-PR_editing_of_Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Scientology_editing_on_Wikipedia

Wikipedia editors and arbitrators have in the past commented on such cases
to the media. Will this be forbidden under the new Universal Code of
Conduct rules?

3. What about cases like the ones listed below? From the perspective of the
UCoC, were any of the protagonists in these cases ("David r from Meth
Productions", "Wifione", "Qworty") victims of harassment as a result of
their activities being discussed on-wiki or elsewhere?

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2011/09/hari-rose-wikipedia-admitted

https://www.salon.com/2013/05/17/revenge_ego_and_the_corruption_of_wikipedia/

https://www.newsweek.com/2015/04/03/manipulating-wikipedia-promote-bogus-business-school-316133.html

4. Another contributor has asked on the talk pages whether, according to
the terms of the UCoC, they will be deemed guilty of harassment in the
Wikimediaverse if they sue another contributor for libel and discuss their
complaint in court. Another worries about contributors' ability to report
child protection issues to the authorities.

Indeed, the WMF itself has at times alerted the authorities to suspicious
activities on its sites and shared contributors' personal details (I recall
a case where it appeared from postings on Wikipedia that a troubled
teenager was contemplating a school shooting). Is the Universal Code of
Conduct intended to put an end to such reports?

I would be grateful for a clarification of the impact the Universal Code of
Conduct is intended to have on the above issues.

Best,
Andreas

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Universal_Code_of_Conduct
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Universal_Code_of_Conduct/Policy_text
[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Universal_Code_of_Conduct#3_–_Unacceptable_behaviour

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Closing the comment period for the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Draft Guidelines and next step [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I would make a couple of notes here:

One is that when you say "comment period will end", that can't be of the process.

There are numerous open questions that we have yet to see any draft policy text on - they can't go into the final document without chance for open review and further revision.

While I've heard bits about how they will be discussed, we've seen nothing formal and nothing in writing.

Please let me know BEFORE the 29th how that will be handled to the community's expectations. As the inherently most controversial bits (that's why they were open questions!) the actual next needs MORE time to review than the aspects already there, not less.

Yours,

Nosebagbear