Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Small gratitude to our fellow wikimedians
Hi everybody.

Today, on the social media channels, we received the news about another
wikimedian who is passed away: Steve Suleeman (User:Stephensuleeman from
idwiki). As others in the recent or distant past: Spasimir Pilev
(User:???????? ????? from bgwiki), Pier Luigi Rocco (User:Moroboshi from
itwiki), Elena Sanz Queiruga (User:ElsaBornFree from
eswiki), User:SlimVirgin from enwiki, Krzysztof Machocki
(User:Halibutt from plwiki).

For these losses, I think we - as a community, through the Wikimedia
Foundation - need to set up a fund to build a commemorative plaque to
remember all the wikimedians we have lost.

I would suggest it to be a thought from the community, extended also to all
other major events of a wikimedian's life (marriage, birth of a child). We
know a wikimedian often sacrifices the free time, dedicating a large part
of their own real life to our projects and the movement. Would be a
recognition from the community for the work done and a memory for the
families, a "small gratitude to our fellow wikimedians" as someone said.

I know that some affiliates are already doing this (eq. Wikimedia
Indonesia), would be a lovely idea to do it in a centralized way at the
level of the whole movement.

What do you think?
Camelia