Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Movement Charter Drafting Committee - Community Elections to take place October 11 - 24
For those who prefer more visual approach, here is also the timeline
infographic:

- In English
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Movement_Charter_Draft_Committee_formation_timeline_-_en.png>
- In French
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Movement_Charter_Draft_Committee_formation_timeline_-_fr.png>
- In German
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Movement_Charter_Draft_Committee_formation_timeline_-_de.png>
- In Hindi
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Movement_Charter_Draft_Committee_formation_timeline_-_hi.png>
- In Russian
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Movement_Charter_Draft_Committee_formation_timeline_-_ru.png>

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Movement Charter Drafting Committee - Community Elections to take place October 11 - 24 [ In reply to ]
*I'm adding my part to Kaarel's message:*

Hi all,

We are very happy about the wide range of diverse Wikimedians that are
running for the election and selection processes for the drafting committee
of the Movement Charter!

As the number of candidates is quite large and thus informing yourself
about them might be a bit more complicated, we want to try something
different this time: In many countries of the world during election
campaigns so-called “Voting Advice Applications'' (or “Election
Compasses'') are quite common. Thanks to an open source project called
“Open Election Compass'', we’d like to adapt the same for this election.
We have built a prototype of it, which you can access on Toolforge:

https://mcdc-election-compass.toolforge.org/

It works like this:

-

You will see statements that we have asked the candidates to position
themselves to (support, neutral, oppose; and some lines of reasoning).
-

The tool asks you to position yourself to these statements.
-

At the end, you will see who of the candidates is closest to you.

The Election Compass is by far not a voting recommendation, but it should
help to navigate and orient yourself, and, ideally, spark conversations
about the Movement Charter!

To be able to run such an election compass, we need clear, sharp, concise
statements that the candidates can position themselves to. We would like to
ask you to propose these statements (until Sunday, 26th) and then have a
quick poll on them (from Monday, 27th, to Friday, 1st), to select 15 to 20
of these statements. Candidates would then have roughly 10 days to position
themselves, before the election starts and the tool goes online.

Please propose your statements here until Sunday 26th. On the page itself,
we have some more guidance and fictional examples on how they should look
like:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Election_Compass_Statements

As said, this is an experiment to help all of us to make it easier to vote.
Please let us know what you think.

Best regards,

Cornelius

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 4:54 PM Kaarel Vaidla <kvaidla@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Affiliates select 6 members
>>
>> Parallel to the election process, all affiliates asked to contribute as
>> well: All affiliates were divided into eight geographic and one ‘thematic’
>> region (check the list), and each region chooses one person who will act as
>> a selector for that region. These 9 selectors will come together to select
>> 6 of the committee (from the same pool of candidates). The selection
>> results will be published on November 1.
>>
>> Wikimedia Foundation appoints 2 members
>>
>> Finally, the Wikimedia Foundation will appoint two members to the
>> committee by November 1.
>>
>> All three processes will be concluded by November 1, 2021, so that the
>> Movement Charter Drafting Committee can start working by then.
>>
>> For the full context of the Movement Charter, its role, as well the
>> process for its creation, please have a look at Meta. You can also contact

Cornelius Kibelka (he/him)

Event Coordinator

Movement Strategy + Governance

2030.wikimedia.org

<https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
[Wikimedia-l] Re: Movement Charter Drafting Committee - Community Elections to take place October 11 - 24 [ In reply to ]
Just a quick info:

We were asked to extend the deadline for submitting statements for the
Election Compass. We will do so and extend it until tomorrow (28th of
September), end of day (anywhere on Earth), upvoting starts on Wednesday
(29th) and goes until Sunday (3rd).

So, check out Meta and submit your statement:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_Charter/Drafting_Committee/Election_Compass_Statements

Best,
Cornelius

Thanks.

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Movement Charter Drafting Committee - Community Elections to take place October 11 - 24 [ In reply to ]
I'm done with.

https://mcdc-election-compass.toolforge.org/