Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Update on Croatian Wikipedia evaluation
Hi Xeno,

Thanks. Good to see that an effort has finally been made to address this.

Andreas

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Update on Croatian Wikipedia evaluation [ In reply to ]
Thank you for publishing this, but in all honesty it feels as a bit
too little too late.

After a quick reading of the summary I am somewhat disappointed that
the investigation commissioned by WMF was so reductive in presenting
the complexity of the situation (it is not all about the language) and
keeping it content centric *(with very few people/social centric
observations). WMF also did not reflect on more than a decade of
itself being a more-less passive observer (if even observer) of
frustrations of contributors to Wikipedia in Croatian language*
(calling it Croatian Wikipedia is a part of the problem as it adds to
the nation-state perception of Wikipedia). In this decade aspirations
with UCoC makes me wonder how WMF's lack of action would pass here?

For Wikipedians who spent over a decade asking for help *(many have
burned out and will not return even now that situation is better) it
would likely be useful to hear some kind of a sign of apology for the
lack of interest, oversight and support on the WMF side. As for the
recommendations presented, these at best may be well intended but also
seem fairly technocratic in approach and naive at what the capacities
and conditions of work are in the wider context and in the project
itself.

Best Z. Blace
[Wikimedia-l] Re: Update on Croatian Wikipedia evaluation [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 10:45 PM Ċ½eljko Bla?e <zblace@mi2.hr> wrote:

> Thank you for publishing this, but in all honesty it feels as a bit
> too little too late.
>
> After a quick reading of the summary I am somewhat disappointed that
> the investigation commissioned by WMF was so reductive in presenting
> the complexity of the situation (it is not all about the language) and
> keeping it content centric *(with very few people/social centric
> observations). WMF also did not reflect on more than a decade of
> itself being a more-less passive observer (if even observer) of
> frustrations of contributors to Wikipedia in Croatian language*
> (calling it Croatian Wikipedia is a part of the problem as it adds to
> the nation-state perception of Wikipedia). In this decade aspirations
> with UCoC makes me wonder how WMF's lack of action would pass here?
>
> For Wikipedians who spent over a decade asking for help *(many have
> burned out and will not return even now that situation is better) it
> would likely be useful to hear some kind of a sign of apology for the
> lack of interest, oversight and support on the WMF side. As for the
> recommendations presented, these at best may be well intended but also
> seem fairly technocratic in approach and naive at what the capacities
> and conditions of work are in the wider context and in the project
> itself.
>
> Best Z. Blace

Minor update - second biggest TV broadcaster in Croatia covered the story
with few mistakes and good intentions, as well as a naive conclusion
that all is resolved now and also thanks to the research by WMF :-/
https://www.rtl.hr/vijesti-hr/novosti/hrvatska/4057588/hrvatska-wikipedija-napokon-prestaje-biti-leglo-dezinformacija-povijesnog-revizionizma-i-relativiziranja-ratnih-zlocina/

Best Z. Blace