Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation
Dear friends and colleagues

Further to my message at the end of last month and the queries that one or
two of you made, I'd like to notify you of the following:

1. the conference will now be 100% online
2. the deadline for submission of proposals has been extended to 30th June
2021

Full updated details and Call for Papers can be found on the conference
website at https://ctn.hkbu.edu.hk/wikiconf2021/.

Best regards

Mark Shuttleworth

--
Disclaimer

This
message (including any attachments) may contain
confidential
information intended for a specific individual and/or
purpose. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this message
and notify
the sender and the University immediately. Any disclosure,
copying, or
distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it,
is prohibited as it may be unlawful.

In
addition, the
University specifically denies any responsibility for the
accuracy or
quality of information obtained through University E-mail
Facilities. Any
views and opinions expressed in the email(s) are those
of the author(s),
and do not necessarily represent the views and
opinions of the University.
The University accepts no liability
whatsoever for any losses or damages
that may be incurred or caused to
any party as a result of the use of such
information.
[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Hi Mark,

This is really interesting. I take care of les sans pagEs community on fr-wikii and we translate a lot from English, a little from Spanish and Italian. I would keen to participate, thanks for sharing!

Kind regards,

Nattes à chat

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Also interested in contributing, but registration fee is something that
puts me off when approaching academic conferences, especially now when
online so much of the cost is reduced.

Best - Z. Blace

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
While I understand that this could be a concern if it was a large fee, it
works out to about $13 USD/11 Euros for observer status, and double that
for presenter status. This does not sound outrageous; it pays for the
equipment, software, staffing, technical support, and bandwidth, as well as
the maintenance and storage of presentation materials. Even online
conferences have some costs, and those costs are often not being absorbed
by sponsors to the extent that they have been in the past.

It may be worthwhile for the WMF to agree to take a certain number of slots
and pay for them, and then allot them to people with a significant history
of translation on our projects on a first come/first served basis;
honestly, they could support the registration fees for 25 editors for less
than 500 USD. That's a bargain, especially if they want to shift the focus
to translation into smaller projects.

I hope that the conference goes well.

Risker/Anne

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Dear friends and colleagues,

Hope my mail finds you all in the best of health and spirit. It is good
news that the conference is happening and not put off due to the pandemic,
I would like to thank the organizers for taking the conference to 100%
online.

Though not happy as one needs to pay for the registration fee especially
when the event is online and due to pandemic people are and have lost jobs.

I would like to request the organizers to give a thought on this matter.

Namaste,

Rajeeb.

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Thank you everyone for your comments. Just to confirm, we have reduced the
registration fees very significantly since taking the decision to go
online, and they are now as stated by Anne below. We hope that the new fee
level will permit anyone to attend who would be interested to, although if
need be I can also take Rajeeb's suggestion to the organising committee and
see if it might be possible to provide some financial help where necessary.
Anne, many thanks for your sponsorship suggestion, and if something like
that were possible it would be really excellent.

All best

Mark

www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
I totally agree with Rajeeb too. A Wikimedian who is otherwise volunteering
and would like to share their findings/observations with others over an
online event would already be extending their volunteer hours just for
applying and preparing for a conference. Asking them to pay is not fair
whatever the reason is, and especially when many developing countries are
grappling with huge health and economic disasters (not to mention the
environmental disaster that recently hit the eastern coast of India or what
Indonesia and the Philippines face on a regular basis). This is precisely
the reason some volunteers are disbursed for their internet expenses when
they participate in a discussion series in some of the events. I know it
might not be easy for an edu institution that might already be struggling
with funding to organize an event, but this event is focused on the
Wikimedia movement and is special for many. Exclusion for financial reasons
should be seriously thought about.

Subhashish

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Hi Mark,

I strongly suggest that the organizers request a budgetary support through
a WMF grant while there is still ample time before the event.

Kind regards,

Butch Bustria

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
This looks lovely, thank you for organizing it Mark.
You can submit a rapid grant request
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid> for support for
online participation.

This seems like something of interest to developers of Translate
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate> + Content Translation
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation> + translatewiki
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translatewiki.net>, the current WMF language
& translation team <https://wikimediafoundation.org/role/staff-contractors/>,
and the people working on Lexicographical data
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Lexicographical_data> in
Wikidata :) You might want to explicitly invite some of those networks.

SJ

Samuel Klein @metasj w:user:sj +1 617 529 4266
[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Hi Mark,

If you are willing to consider postponing the event just a bit, to January,
you can also apply for the upcoming Conference Grants round. The deadline
for submission will be in early September.

I'm happy to help and answer any questions.

Chen

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Hello Mark. Wonderful idea. I am Oby Ezeilo of The Igbo Wikimedia User
Group in Nigeria, Just want to ask, if we are to join online do we need to
pay the same amount?
Regards

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Dear Friends and Colleagues

Many thanks for your messages and apologies for the slow response.

I've discussed the situation with my colleagues and everyone agrees that we
could certainly consider waiving the fee in the right circumstances, and
we've updated the conference website (https://ctn.hkbu.edu.hk/wikiconf2021/)
to reflect this. I haven't yet made a rapid grant request but I'll
certainly follow that up, and I'm also wondering if that suggestion that
Anne made earlier was still possibly on the table? Unfortunately it would
be difficult to reschedule the conference at this stage to allow an
application via the Conference Grants round though.

Anyone with an interest in translation on Wikipedia would be very welcome
to submit a paper proposal. The Call for Papers assumes that paper
proposals will be research-based but I think it would be really excellent
to have contributions from practitioners as well, and if we have enough we
could for example dedicate a session to them. I also think the opportunity
that the conference could potentially give for stimulating exchanges
between practitioners and researchers would be very exciting.

Best regards

Mark

[Wikimedia-l] Re: Announcing an academic conference on Wikipedia translation [ In reply to ]
Would you like to present at wikimania 2021 (an online event) from the 13th to 17th of August 2021? Wikimania is still accepting research proposals.

Temp3600
(Wikimedia Hong Kong Community Group)