Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] more Planet RSS maintainers wanted
Hi!

I'm not sure how it happened, but for a while I've been the main maintainer
of the Wikimedia Planet: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet_Wikimedia

The Wikimedia Planet is a bunch of RSS feeds that aggregate posts from
various blogs in several languages that are related to Wikimedia in one way
or another. Some people think that RSS is an outdated technology, but there
are also quite a lot of people, including myself, who beg to disagree, and
find RSS readers more convenient and nicely organized for getting news
updates than social networks or algorithmic aggregators. (I used Google
Reader and then I switched to Feedly; there are many other RSS readers.)

It's not so *bad* that I'm the main maintainer because there's very little
work to do and it's actually quite fun. Nevertheless, it's not very good
that I'm practically the only one, because sometimes maintenance requests
can get stuck for months, and there's also that whole notion of [[Bus
factor]].

So, if anyone is interested in joining me in this *very easy and fun*
effort, please just take a look at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planet_Wikimedia and try addressing the
current requests (there are very few of them). And then check the same page
once a month or so. If you know how to use Git, then you have all the
necessary skills to do it. If you don't know Git, I'll be happy to teach
you the necessary basics—it's not as difficult and scary in 2021 as it was
in 2011. Just contact me off-list.

Thanks :)

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · ?????? ????????? ??????????
http://aharoni.wordpress.com