Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Research Showcase] January 20, 2021: Macro-level organizational analysis of peer production communities
Hi all,
The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed on Wednesday, January 20,
at 9:30 AM PST/17:30 UTC. In this month’s showcase, Aaron Shaw will
present ongoing research illustrating the values and challenges of
macro-level organizational analysis of peer production and social computing
systems. Specifically, he will give an overview on different studies
showing convergent trends of formalization in large Wikipedias; divergent
editor engagement in small Wikipedias; and commensal patterns of ecological
interdependence across communities.

Youtube stream: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Wcc-TeaEY>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujd8S82YfmA

As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research. You
can also watch our past research showcases here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase

<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase>*Speaker*:
Aaron Shaw (Northwestern University)
*Title*: The importance of thinking big. Convergence, divergence, and
interdependence among wikis and peer production communities
*Abstract*: Designing and governing collaborative, peer production
communities can benefit from large-scale, macro-level thinking that focuses
on communities as the units of analysis. For example, understanding how and
why seemingly comparable communities may follow convergent, divergent,
and/or interdependent patterns of behavior can inform more parsimonious
theoretical and empirical insights as well as more effective strategic
action. This talk gives a sneak peak at research-in-progress by members of
the Community Data Science Collective <http://communitydata.science/> to
illustrate these points. In particular, I focus on studies of (1)
convergent trends of formalization in several large Wikipedias; (2)
divergent editor engagement among three small Wikipedias; and (3) commensal
patterns of ecological interdependence across communities. Together, the
studies underscore the value and challenges of macro-level organizational
analysis of peer production and social computing systems.

--
Martin Gerlach
Research Scientist
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Research Showcase] January 20, 2021: Macro-level organizational analysis of peer production communities [ In reply to ]
Just a reminder, that this will be starting in about 24 minutes.

--
Martin Gerlach
Research Scientist