Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Gift Wikipedia a Citation on its 20th Birthday!
To commemorate Wikipedia's birthday, we will once again be adding citations
to improve the reliability of the platform. This year's 1Lib1Ref campaign
however is very different as Wikipedia turns 20; we are celebrating the
humans that make Wikipedia possible, highlighting their contributions and
commitment to the platform. In view of this we are asking every human out
there to join us in the celebration by gifting Wikipedia a citation to make
it more reliable, starting from the 15th Jan to 5th Feb 2021!

We are adding a new layer of contribution to celebrate the humans that
contribute to the success of the platform as part of the Wikipedia20
celebrations. Join the #1Lib1Ref Human Challenge by contributing citations
to improve the quality of articles around human rights on Wikipedia and
with top contributors receiving swags from the Wikimedia Store.[1]

How can I contribute?

Add a citation

1.

Let the tool suggest a citation needed statements for you, or use the
search menu at the bottom to choose a category (Wikipedia's version of a
tag) of an article that you have a special expertise in (for example,
British novels or Provinces of Afghanistan ).
2.

Go to the article, find the statement
3.

Click edit in the section header
4.

Add the source following the source guidelines
5.

Remove the "Citation needed" template (highlight and backspace in Visual
Editor, or remove the template which adds that tag (it looks like
{{citation needed}} ))
6.

Add the hashtag #1lib1ref to your edit summary
7.

Save the page.

Visit the participate page to learn more.[2]

Communicate

-

Share a post from our communicate and share page.[3]
-

We will be sharing a post on diff on Friday, as part of the Wikipedia
birthday communication, keep an eye out for that.

Help organize?

If you are from the CEE don’t miss out on the 1Lib1Ref CEE regional
competition, contact Gorana Gomirac WMRS (gorana.gomirac@vikimedija.org )
and Natalia Szafran-Kozakowska WMPL (natalia.szafran@wikimedia.pl ) for
more information.[4] You can also find an activity around you as some
countries and institutions such as Canada, Israel, France, Spain, AfLIA,
etc. are organizing their own activities.[5]

If you are organizing, add your event to the 1lib1ref Event Dashboard or
your virtual event to digital events list to enable people across the world
participate in your activity.[6][7]

It is not too late to schedule an event -- the campaign runs through
February 5th and in past years organizers have run #1lib1ref events year
round or scheduled activities for #1lib1ref May during the January
campaign.

Remember to add #1Lib1Ref in the edit summary of your contribution to help
us track your activity!

Happy 20th Birthday!
Felix Nartey

[1] -
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikipedia_Library/1Lib1Ref/Participate#Participate_in_our_%E2%80%9CHuman%E2%80%9D_challenge
!

[2] -
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikipedia_Library/1Lib1Ref/Participate

[3] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikipedia_Library/1Lib1Ref/Share

[4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/1Lib1RefCEE_campaign

[5] -
https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/campaigns/1lib1ref_january_2021/overview

[6] -
https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/campaigns/1lib1ref_january_2021/overview

[7] -
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikipedia_Library/1Lib1Ref/Virtual_Coffee_Kit
--
Felix Nartey
Community and Partnerships Coordinator, Campaigns