Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy - Interim Global Council and other Follow-up Discussions
Hi everyone,

After more than 3 years of movement-wide collaboration, we are putting
movement strategy into action. And what a great time to celebrate this
accomplishment as we near Wikipedia’s 20th birthday.

Quick recap

Despite a challenging and unprecedented 2020, we came together to discuss
what initiatives from the recommendations should be prioritized in 2021 and
began identifying steps to put those initiatives into action. Around 600
people took part in the discussions.

The initiatives began emerging first based on priorities from nearly 60
communities, affiliates, and groups
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Prioritization_events/Table>
[2]. At the Global Conversations in November, community members from around
the world further discussed those priorities to select the most important
ones to work on in 2021. Together we identified 8 sets of initiatives
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Discuss>
[3] from the recommendations. For more detail, please see the report from
November
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Global_Conversations/Report>
[4].

At the Global Conversations in December
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Global_Conversations/Report/December>
[5], on wiki, and at community events since, Wikimedians are discussing the
next steps for implementing the top initiatives. There is a dedicated
discussion space
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Discuss>
[3] for each set of initiatives. You can find text and video summaries as
well as the interested communities listed.

Global Council priority
The Movement Strategy team is happy to share plans for finalizing the
transition to implementing the movement’s recommendations. From the
conversations that took place in small and large communities around the
world, it is clear that the Global Council, Movement Charter, and Interim
Global Council are top priorities. They are the important first steps to
enabling more global decision-making and distributed leadership. Global
Conversations for establishing the Interim Global Council will take place
on January 23 and 24 — please register early
<https://forms.gle/FwEBS5TbA2EPbmFt7> [1].

What’s next

The approach for implementation will vary from one initiative to another
depending on the contexts and community priorities. At follow-up
discussions in January and early February, interested communities and
affiliates will come together with different teams from the Wikimedia
Foundation to plan the next steps for the 18 months ahead. We have plans
to communicate further information on these meetings soon.

The Wikimedia Foundation is committed to resourcing the movement’s top
priorities, including the Interim Global Council, and the discussions that
will help shape them. The path forward for some of the initiatives is
clear. Others need further discussions to narrow the scope or to select
from different ideas to experiment and learn.

How to prepare

Conversations are open and ongoing
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Discuss>,
so please help to enrich them and express your interest to join follow-up
discussions [3]. Join follow-up discussions of your interest with your
thoughts and suggestions.

We will be communicating the dates and times for the other follow-up
discussions very soon. In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out
to Support Team with your questions, comments, or ideas at
strategy2030{{at}}wikimedia.org

On behalf of the Support Team,

Kaarel

[1] Register for global conversations on the Interim Global Council:
https://forms.gle/FwEBS5TbA2EPbmFt7

[2] Map and table of priorities from communities, affiliates and groups:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Prioritization_events/Table

[3] Discussion space for each of the top 8 sets of initiatives:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Discuss

[4] The report from the November Global Conversations:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Global_Conversations/Report

[5] The report from the December Global Conversations:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Global_Conversations/Report/December

--

Kaarel Vaidla (he/him)

Movement Strategy <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/2030>