Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikidata Query Service Tutorial
In 2019 Wikimedia Israel (WMIL) decided to develop instructional material
for the Wikidata Query Service (WDQS). The background for this decision was
that we see audiences to whom we introduce Wikidata become especially
enthusiastic when we present the *Wikidata query service tutorial
<https://wdqs-tutorial.toolforge.org/> *, which offers quite a
unique feature within the landscape of information services available
today. This enthusiasm often dampens when audiences discover that querying
is not done using natural language but rather requires learning SPARQL.

We believe learning SPARQL is not rocket science, even for audiences with
no programming background. We created a step-by-step tutorial website to
give users an introduction and some basic lessons on how to use the query
service. While WDQS has a great Help section, this section might not be so
helpful to users who are new to Wikimedia platforms. We therefore built the
tutorial website on the WordPress platform which has a more familiar design
to most users. We believe this website will make the WDQS more accessible,
and hope this will be a way to expand Wikidata to new audiences.
Currently the site is in English but we are open for collaborations to add
the tutorial in other languages.
We are also keen to hear feedback from those involved in Wikidata Outreach.

We hope you'll find it useful.
All the Best
Revital Poleg
Executive Director, WMIL

Revital Poleg

Executive Director, WMIL
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikidata Query Service Tutorial [ In reply to ]
Congrats, WM-IL! And right on time for Wikidata's 8th Birthday celebrarions!
Looking forward to integrating this tool in my academic courses this year.

Shani

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikidata Query Service Tutorial [ In reply to ]
Wow, what an excellent tutorial! The detailed outline is really helpful
for people who just want a reminder of syntax, and the embedded queries are
great for trial and error.

I encourage everyone who hasn't yet learned how to query Wikidata to give
this tool a try, and if you speak a language other than English or Hebrew,
to contribute to translating this excellent resource!

Kudos to Wikimedia Israel for the initiative and execution!

A.

Asaf Bartov (he/him/his)

Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikidata Query Service Tutorial [ In reply to ]
Wow, impressive. Thank you for sharing this.

Additionally, I'm very interested to translate this into Macedonian. Please
share details about translation.

This will be very helpful and useful for smaller wikis as we have many
members with little knowledge into Wikidata.

Best,
Toni
Shared Knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikidata Query Service Tutorial [ In reply to ]
Wow! So cool -- there have been so many different trainings on the query
service -- its great to see such a large set of documentation.

Cheers,

Alex

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 6:06 PM Toni Ristovski <toni91ehrlich@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> is not done using natural language but rather requires learning SPARQL.
>>>
>>> We believe learning SPARQL is not rocket science, even for audiences
>>> with no programming background. We created a step-by-step tutorial website
>>> to give users an introduction and some basic lessons on how to use the
>>> query service. While WDQS has a great Help section, this section might not
>>> be so helpful to users who are new to Wikimedia platforms. We therefore
>>> built the tutorial website on the WordPress platform which has a more
>>> familiar design to most users. We believe this website will make the WDQS
>>> more accessible, and hope this will be a way to expand Wikidata to new
>>> audiences.
>>> Currently the site is in English but we are open for collaborations to
>>> add the tutorial in other languages.
>>> We are also keen to hear feedback from those involved in Wikidata

Alex Stinson
Senior Program Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter: @sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikidata Query Service Tutorial [ In reply to ]
Hi Revital,
congratulations, great work.
As a developer in love with SPARQL and seeing that WikiDonne uses Wikidata,
creating lists of missing women biographies
<https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progetto:WikiDonne/Liste_voci_mancanti> &
some query examples
<https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progetto:WikiDonne/SPARQL>, we are
interested in translating this tool into Italian. Can you please indicate a
way to contact you and your team?

Thank you,
Camelia

--
*Camelia Boban*

*| Java EE Developer |*

*Affiliations Committee - **Wikimedia Foundation*
Wikimedia Diversity Ambassador
*Interwiki Women
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Interwiki_Women_Collaboration> | **Wiki
Loves Sport <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Sport> | Wiki Loves
Fashion <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Fashion>*
WMIT <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Italia> - WMSE
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Sverige> - WMAR
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Argentina> - WMCH
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH> - WMNY
<https://nyc.wikimedia.org/wiki/Home> - WMDC
<https://wikimediadc.org/wiki/Home> - WMBE
<https://be.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Belgium> Member

M. +39 3383385545
camelia.boban@gmail.com
*Aissa Technologies* <http://aissatechnologies.eu/>* | *Twitter
<https://twitter.com/cameliaboban> *|* *LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/camelia-boban-31319122>*
*Wikipedia <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Camelia.boban> **| **WikiDonne
UG <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiDonne>* | *WikiDonne Project
<https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progetto:WikiDonne> *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikidata Query Service Tutorial [ In reply to ]
Dear all,

Just a quick update to last week's message: We are delighted by the
response to our announcement about the Wikidata Query Service (WDQS)
tutorial <https://wdqs-tutorial.toolforge.org/>. We already received
requests for collaboration to translate the tutorial into Italian,
Macedonian and Indonesian!

If you want to know what is required to create the tutorial website in your
language please contact Dr. Keren Shatzman <keren@wikimedia.org.il>, WMIL's
project coordinator, who leads this project.

You can also read about the background and context in which the tutorial
was developed in an interview with Dr. Shatzman, featured on the Wikimedia
Foundation blog
<https://diff.wikimedia.org/2020/10/21/the-query-service-tutorial-for-wikidata-an-interview-with-dr-keren-shatzman-from-wikimedia-israel/>
.

Happy Wikidata Birthday ????

Revital Poleg

Executive Director, WMIL

wikimedia-l-request@lists.wikimedia.org??>:?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikidata Query Service Tutorial [ In reply to ]
<3 <3 <3 <3