Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021
Hi everyone,

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, following the recommendation of
staff, has resolved to pause the Movement Brand Project until the next
calendar year.[1] We recognize that much of the Wikimedia movement’s
activities, events, and key collaborations have been put on hold or
restructured due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and we have received formal
requests to pause Movement Brand Project activities to reflect this
need.[2]

The Board remains persuaded that there is potential value in making change
to our branding system in service of our goals of engaging more people in
our mission. However, we also know that change moves at the speed of trust.
We have asked staff to meaningfully engage with community concerns and
address the request for equitable decision-making within the process. We
also ask members of the community to use this pause to consider how equity
may ask us to let go of some aspects of our past, in order to create space
for what could be. Making these decisions together, with so many passionate
perspectives, will be challenging, but building this capacity is essential
for how we grow together as a thriving global movement.

In the meantime, we will establish a small ad-hoc Board committee to liaise
with staff, and develop a process of collaboration and decision-making
appropriate for the Movement’s brand. This committee will constitute
Trustees James Heilman, Raju Narisetti, and Shani Evenstein Sigalov. We
hope and intend for this committee to include a small number of community
representatives from affiliates, open letter signatories, and emerging
communities, and Foundation staff to be designated by the Executive
Director. We’ll update you with more details on the committee soon.

In 2021, using insights and recommendations gleaned through the ad-hoc
committee, the Brand Project team will restart collaboration and
communicate next steps accordingly. This resolution was ratified on
September 24, 2020.

Kind regards,

María Sefidari

[1]
https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Pause_of_Brand_Development_Work

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_open_letter_on_renaming

--

María Sefidari Huici

Chair of the Board

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Thanks for hearing the voices, Mar?a and members of the board.

Defining common goals is the best practice for reaching to the best solution.

Sincerely,

Galder
________________________________
[...]

Mar?a Sefidari

[1]
https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Pause_of_Brand_Development_Work

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_open_letter_on_renaming

--

Mar?a Sefidari Huici

Chair of the Board

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Thank you María!

Following this Board resolution, the Brand Project team will be updating
the project hub. [1] We will also release the Naming Survey results as
both a report and as the anonymized data by October 6. The publication of
those materials will be shared on the project hub and announced here.

Cheers,

- Zack, Essie, and Samir (the Brand Project team)

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project

Zack McCune (he/him)

Director of Brand

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Thank U!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone

I wanted to follow up on Zack’s email with an update and links to the
naming survey resources published today:

The naming survey report is now available.[1] Thank you to everyone who
provided feedback. To learn more about what naming elements should be
removed, refined and recombined please view the full report.[2]

We are looking forward to collaborating with you again next year.

Samir and the Brand Project Team

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project/Naming_survey_feedback_report

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brand_Project_Naming_Survey_Feedback_Report.pdf

Samir Elsharbaty (he/him)

Brand Associate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I've read it, and the recommendations sounded all with good sense, and on
point.
I believe there is an excellent base there for future work on the subject.
You've done a good job, despite the difficult conditions.

Just a minor curiosity: The percentages of Africa and Asia participations
on the survey are absent from there, can they be seen somewhere, or shared?

Thanks,
Paulo

Samir Elsharbaty <selsharbaty@wikimedia.org> escreveu no dia terça,
6/10/2020 à(s) 17:25:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Paulo! You can find the geographical distribution for both
affiliate and individual respondents on page 9 and 10 of the full report on
Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3ABrand_Project_Naming_Survey_Feedback_Report.pdf&page=9

Best,
Samir

Samir Elsharbaty (he/him)

Brand Associate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Hi Samir,

First of all, thank you for sharing the detailed analysis and for
publishing the raw data after a review. I appreciate the efforts made on
that front.

I wanted to quickly acknowledge (as you are undoubtly aware from open
question responses) that there were a number of reports of people being
confused about the question phrasing, and that they realized after
submitting that their answers would probably be interpreted wrong because
of the phrasings. It might be helpful if you can publish at least the raw
questionnaire structure along the presentation.

Unrelatedly, it's a bit painful to read things like "Refine: Demonstrate
how elevating one project can support the others and help reduce
confusion." and "Refine: Further develop and assess the foreseen legal
concerns so affiliates can have a greater understanding of Wikipedia
centered name." which suggests that you're convinced that this is mostly a
matter of better explaining how this is a good idea, than that you
appreciate the fundamental disagreement that seems to be here, that this is
a good idea. This may be a simple matter of unfortunate phrasing though, or
maybe I'm reading too much into the sentences with the previous
conversations and presentations in mind.

Best,

Lodewijk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resolution to pause Movement Brand Project through March 2021 [ In reply to ]
Hello Lodewijik,

Thank you for your feedback.

In regards to some people being confused about the survey question
phrasing, we heard this too. The raw questions are available on MetaWiki
[1] to reference if needed.

I hope you have a nice weekend.

Essie

[1]