Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Office hour: Community Resilience & Sustainability/ T&S
Hello, all.

I am Maggie Dennis, Vice President of Community Resilience &
Sustainability, working directly under the General Counsel of the Wikimedia
Foundation.[1] I've served in various roles at the Foundation over the past
9 years, always in and about the Trust & Safety team. I'm also a volunteer
— Moonriddengirl — editing mostly on the English Wikipedia (though much
less than in the past).

Back in June, we held the first of a series of quarterly office hours which
were intended to provide a space for folks to talk to me directly about
issues involving "community resilience and sustainability", which includes
the Trust & Safety team's activity as well as initiatives such as the
Universal Code of Conduct and the Human Rights role for which we’re
currently hiring. You can read the notes from the previous call here!
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours/Office_hours_2020-06-04>
[2]

As with last time, in order to meet the request of some to make these
meetings more personal, we're going to again host the meeting on Zoom,
taking questions from the Zoom chat, Telegram, and IRC, as well as
collecting them in advance over email.[3] The meeting will also be streamed
to YouTube, since we will only be able to host a limited number of people
in the Zoom itself, and this recording will be available to watch after
we're done.

As with last time around, finding one hour that works for everyone is going
to be really difficult, though we will once again be taking detailed
(anonymized) notes from the call which we'll be posting onto Meta-Wiki.
I'll be fielding questions from Wikimedians in good standing (that is, not
Foundation or community banned), and will follow up with anything asked
during or prior to the meeting that I can't get to during the meeting in
writing after the call.

The caveats from before remain in place, which I will repeat for
convenience:

-

I can't and won't discuss specific Trust & Safety cases. Instead, I can
discuss Trust & Safety protocols and practices and approaches as well as
some of the mistakes we've made, some of the things I'm proud of, and some
of the things we're hoping to do.
-

I will not respond to comments or questions that are disrespectful to
me, to my colleagues, or to anyone in our communities. I can talk civilly
about our work even if you disagree with me or I disagree with you. I won't
compromise on this.

I'm still not sure if Zoom is a permanent solution for these office hours,
though it has in the past been a good option to provide both text and audio
options for those who are interested in contributing. It's also software
that the Foundation's IT folks are familiar with and can help with in a
pinch should we run into any turbulence. :)

We don't yet have direct links set up for the call — those will be provided
when they are available. If you want the link to get in, please ask for it
at answers@wikimedia.org, at least an hour in advance of the meeting's
start (please use "Trust & Safety" as the subject line - it’s quicker and
easier to remember than Community Resilience & Sustainability). The link
will be sent out via email during the hour before the meeting.

The meeting will be on October 15 at 18:00 UTC — here's a timezone
converter to work out when that is for you:
https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1602784823

I hope to see you there.

Best,

Maggie

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mdennis_(WMF)

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours/Office_hours_2020-06-04

[3] Zoom link forthcoming; Telegram link:
https://t.me/joinchat/DOlGIB1FRLUWqW9iB3qfTQ;

directions for participating in IRC:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#How_to_participate; email
questions to answers@wikimedia.org with "Trust & Safety" in the subject line

--
Maggie Dennis
Vice President, Community Resilience & Sustainability
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hour: Community Resilience & Sustainability/ T&S [ In reply to ]
Hello, all.

As a reminder, I'm holding an office hour today. (You can read more about
who I am and why you might care in the original email below.)

We will be taking questions in Zoom chat, on Telegram, on IRC, and on the
YouTube stream. I really hope somebody asks some. Otherwise, anyone who
joins to watch the YouTube stream may be terribly bored. I should read a
book out loud or something. :/ (We have three or four questions that were
submitted in advance, I understand.) We will also make the recording
available to watch after we're done.

All Wikimedians in good standing (not Foundation or community banned) are
welcome to attend or submit questions. I can't discuss specific Trust &
Safety cases, but will do my best to answer any other question that is
voiced respectfully. I won't respond to questions or comments that I think
are disrespectful to me, to my colleagues, or to anyone in our communities.
I can talk civilly about our work even if you disagree with me or I with
you, but I can't compromise on treating each other respectfully.

The meeting is today, October 15 at 18:00 UTC — here's a timezone converter
to work out when that is for you: https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1602784823

How to participate:

-

Youtube: https://youtu.be/V_RekRyjDcI
-

Telegram link: https://t.me/joinchat/DOlGIB1FRLUWqW9iB3qfTQ
-

directions for participating in IRC:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#How_to_participate

If you want to attend in person,

-

Zoom Meeting:
https://wikimedia.zoom.us/j/95547797148?pwd=T3BIS09CWm5tQ1ArclBMOGRDRXRPQT09

For security reasons, you need to write to answers@wikimedia.org for the
code. :)

You should also be aware that if you have your camera on or speak out loud
in Zoom, you will be recorded! You can attend if you want, camera off, and
type your questions if you're shy. :)

Best,

Maggie

P.S. I am shy, but I survived last time, and I'll survive this! Just please
don't come expecting a polished public spokesperson. That is very much not
me.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hour: Community Resilience & Sustainability/ T&S [ In reply to ]
Hello, all.

Some of you had expressed an interest - while translation markup is still
to be added, the notes are now on Meta, here
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours/Office_hours_2020-10-15>.

Thanks to all who attended and asked questions or asked question in
advance. I have this fear of sitting in awkward silence. :D I'm very
grateful that didn't happen!

Best regards,
Maggie