Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia coediting spaces?
Hi all,

Have there ever been a serious discussion on the idea of having a network of Wikipedia branded (co)editing spaces / coffee shops / tea rooms around the world?

They could work so that a chapter may apply from the WMF a license to run a Wikipedia coediting coffee shop. The WMF could provide some basic things such as Wikipedia branded coffee cups, barista aprons and specification of the tables, chairs, menu etc. Each Wikipedia coediting space could also offer some local delicacies.

The coediting space could seek for profit (shared between the chapter and the WMF?), but the primary aim would be to be self-sustainable.

I am sure there are some cons, but I made a quick list of pros:

* Outreach and education
* Community building
* Jobs for Wikipedians
* Fun places for all Wikipedians to visit when in town

Any thoughts?

- Teemu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia coediting spaces? [ In reply to ]
Hi Teemu,

do you mean a cafe run by the WMF or an affiliate? How is this compatible
with the non-profit status? Or is there smth I misunderstand?

Best
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia coediting spaces? [ In reply to ]
> On 29. Jul 2020, at 15.47, Yaroslav Blanter <ymbalt@gmail.com> wrote:
> do you mean a cafe run by the WMF or an affiliate?

Run by affiliate with a license provided by WMF.

> How is this compatible
> with the non-profit status? Or is there smth I misunderstand?

I do not see why a non-profit could not run a coffee shop for fundraising. The profit, if any, would naturally be used to the cause.

- Teemu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia coediting spaces? [ In reply to ]
Hi Leinonen,

In Germany we have several kind of co-editing spaces, listed here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Community-Space

In addition there are as well several "Stammtische" (well, at least
usually, currently of course not):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Treffen_der_Wikipedianer

Some are meeting online now, but most are waiting for better times
without that damned virus.

Greetings from Bremen,

Sänger

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia coediting spaces? [ In reply to ]
> On 30. Jul 2020, at 18.08, Uwe Herzke <uwe.herzke@web.de> wrote:
> In Germany we have several kind of co-editing spaces, listed here:
>
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Community-Space

Thanks you Sänger. Very cool!

(Global) network of co-editing spaces, with some common principles of operations (brand, services, opening hours) could be beneficial for the movement. This way affiliates and chapters could easier start and run their spaces.

Do you in Germany have any polices or instructions for the co-editing spaces and Stammtisches?

- Teemu