Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Community open letter on renaming
I want to express my gratitude to the people who have put up this letter
on meta [.1)

I see it as a much more professional way of expressing movement
opinions, then the usual Rfc's (that also already exist related to the
2030 movement brand project).

I do like that both entities (Affiliates, User groups and Chapters) and
users can express their opinions. And also that with the user
signatures, there areĀ  info on what projects they are active on and in
what capacity.

Besides being an very strong message to the Board, I believe this way
can also indicate ways of governing in the movement. In the strategy the
creation of a Global Council is recommended. But I wonder if any type of
representative body works well in our movement, or if it will just
beanother entity for the "community" to get angry with.

Could this type of expressing the will of the movement be an alternative
to creating a new body? And if we should learn to evolve this type of
expressing opinions even further?

Anders

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_open_letter_on_renaming