In addition to fighting 404 errors, this solution also offers the advantage of protecting against changes in content that may appear in the pages to be archived.
Wikiwix strictly respects copyright, archiving is only done with the author's approval using the noarchive tag.
Since 2015, I have been alerting about the deployment of the IA ??robot: 2015: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Wishlist_Survey_2015/Bots_and_gadgets: the bot solution with modification of the template cache is currently exclusive to WayBackMachine, 2017: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discussion_user:Pmartin#I_left_you_a_message! : attempted collaboration abort by the bot trainer and bot stopped following numerous false detections on page 404.
The role of IABOT is to detect the links present in Wikipedia which are in errors 404, to find an archive in priority on the WayBack Machine, and to modify the articles to replace the dead link there.
This process is not good because IABOT only allows one archive url to be stored on all the languages, which greatly favors the Wayback Machine, to the detriment of the different versions of the page. While the template should link to a page that would list all of the possible archives for a 404 page.
A week has been planned for the end of July 2020 to resolve the few stabilization problems that Wikiwix currently encounters, linked to the new solution which consumes only 30 euros of electricity per month, we can also support this week for a deployment of the solution on the NL part of Wikipedia.

Could someone stop this bots, otherwise the false detection of links will become contagious for all projects?

Pascal Martin
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Internet Archive BOT [ In reply to ]
Hi Pascal, all,

this is being discussed here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cyberpower678 THe last response was
June 16, and it seems to focus on geo-blocking as the cause for
blacklisting (in case anyone feels called to help out the developer).

This bot performs incredible work and I hope it gets fixed soon!

Best,
Lodewijk