Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding
Dear all,

As Acting Chair of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees since March
[1] I take full responsibility for this situation. I am truly sorry for all
the frustration this whole situation has caused to volunteers, who have
engaged in discussions expressing their concerns, and to the staff, who
have been working and not really sure if that is really the direction the
Board is prepared to seriously consider, or if it is just an exercise on
our part. As Chair of the Board, I recognize the Board owes clear
information to the communities and guidance to the staff.

In 2017, the Board approved the 2030 Movement Strategic Direction,
recognizing the strategic importance of growing the reach of the Wikimedia
projects to new languages, communities, and geographies, as part of our
global mission. In June 2018, the Board approved a Foundation Annual Plan
that included research into the Wikimedia and Wikipedia brands to
understand how they could be tools in helping us reach these goals.

In November 2018 [2], the staff presented research to the Board about the
Wikipedia and Wikimedia brands. I personally, even though a relatively long
term Wikipedian (and a bit less long term Wikimedian), was basically
convinced by the findings that a rebranding is needed and beneficial for
our mission and global vision, and furthermore that it should be based on
the Wikipedia brand. The information presented there also convinced the
Board that the team should continue their work, but as you can see from the
minutes the Board believed that communication is crucial, but already a
possibility for a new name for the Wikimedia Foundation was seriously
considered [3].

And I am going to be frank here - intuitively taking the name of something
like “Wikipedia Foundation” makes a lot of sense, whether or not it makes
sense upon deeper consideration. But, of course, no one was planning to
just rename the organisation, more conversations were needed. It was
convincing enough for us (the Board) to approve the budget for this
initiative.

The Board has received regular updates about the Brand work along the way,
including approving continued work in the 2019 and 2020 annual plans.
However, the Board has not yet had a very serious, frank conversation about
what the Board will do when the work is finished, including how to balance
feedback from many communities, and the importance of reaching new
communities. The Board also has not yet received a final report, as the
exploratory project was and still is ongoing.

The process itself, even though the brand project team has designed its
process to be inclusive and transparent, has created bitterness in some
volunteers, some of whom feel they were led on or even actively
manipulated. I am sure there was no intent to do that. But, for instance,
people do point to a reported KPI (key performance indicator) in the
previous survey as an alleged attempt at deceiving either the community or
the Board. The Board did not make its decision to support the brand project
based on that number, nor does the clarification of that number or removal
of that KPI influence the Board’s support for the project. Good-faith
mistakes should not undermine trust in our colleagues’ intentions or the
purpose of an entire process. But this “elephant in the room” feeling is
hurting all of us - both volunteers and staff, so I acknowledge that this
created a lot of bitterness.

I want us to take a step back and try to have an honest and constructive
conversation on what our future work will be together. I know there is
mistrust towards the Wikimedia Foundation acting in good faith, I also know
the staff members feel intimidated when talking with the communities, so it
is really difficult to have a frank dialog. We are all in this vicious
circle - we do not trust each other, so we do not talk honestly; we do not
talk honestly so we cannot build that trust. I truly want that to change.
So I am going to be as direct as possible about the Board’s perspective.

The executive statement says, “A rebrand will happen. This has already been
decided by the Board” [4]. What does it mean? The brand project was
approved by the Board in 2018. Rebrand may include: names, logos,
“taglines,” colours, typography, or any combination of the above. An
outcome of the project will be a set of recommended new branding
practices.The Board has not approved any specific recommendations yet.
However, it is important to be clear: the Board absolutely can change the
name of the Wikimedia Foundation, even to the “Wikipedia Foundation,” if it
decides.

Has the Board made the decision to change the name of Wikimedia Foundation
yet? No, the Board has not. In 2018, the Board agreed that the name of the
Wikimedia Foundation does not help us with our strategic goals. From
2018-2020, the Board has been reviewing research and participating in the
brand process with the goal of finding a better name. The Board has not yet
made a decision to change the name to another name, as the Board has not
yet had a final report on the results of the Brand Project, or the
opportunity to discuss the findings and tradeoffs, and make a decision for
what the Board will do. The Board conversation about this is planned to
happen during the August meeting.

Did the Board want to possibly have the rebranding (if approved) to take
place before Wikipedia’s 20th birthday in January 2021? Yes, in a way. The
resolution [5] talks about the work being done by then, but it is indeed
unclear whether the changing of the brand was included or just the
completion of the research by the Foundation. The timeline can still change
if the Board decides it.

Should the Board be clearer in what the Board is directing the Wikimedia
Foundation to do? Yes, I believe so. Some of this unclarity and
misalignment is the cause of all this unfortunate frustration.

What are the possible outcomes for the August Board meeting on branding?
The Board can 1) stop the project, 2) pause the work being done or 3)
continue with it.

Does the Board still want you to take the survey [6] then? Yes. The
currently open survey [6] is intended to find the best possible outcome if
the Foundation's (!) branding were centered around Wikipedia, and your
voice is needed. It is an opportunity to provide constructive feedback on
those alternatives. If you are engaging in discussions around it, please be
kind to each other.

Do all organisations in our movement have to have a uniform name? Per the
Board’s resolution from 2013
<https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes/2013-11#Movement_roles> [7]
- yes, but it was a decision made at that time when the Board believed
there was a chance to increase visibility and recognition of Wikimedia as a
brand. It is 2020 now, and it may be the right time to loosen up on this
approach and allow all organisations in the movement to use different names
[8], best suited for their local context. Or keep uniform names, but allow
using any of our brands for fundraising purposes. Or something else. The
Board does have a sense that there is a need to be much more
outward-looking and optimize our key assets, including our brands, for the
challenges to come.

All across the Movement we have a lot to do to accomplish our 2030 goals
and build out our movement strategy. And that work can be done as the
Wikimedia Movement, Wikimedia communities, and the Foundation even with a
new name, depending on our needs.

Stay safe,

antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

Acting Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

[1] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes/2020-02#Board_Business

[2]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_Wikimedia_brand_strategy_proposal_for_2030.pdf

[3] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes/2018-11-9,10,11#Branding

[4]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project/Executive_statement

[5]
https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Brand_Project_Support_(May_2020)

[6] 2030 Movement Brand Project: Naming Convention Proposals Survey:
https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9G2dN7P0T7gPqpD

[7] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes/2013-11#Movement_roles
[8]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Naming_guidelines

*NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!*
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Greetings,
Thanks for working on this response. I thank you and the board for the care
you have shown in this email. The upcoming August meeting is going to be an
important one, as I understand from the email. We will look forward to its
outcomes.
There have been concerns that opinions or voices have not been heard. Other
than the Qualtrics closed survey, opinions have been and are being shared
in different channels such as Meta-Wiki, mailing list etc. I feel that may
be taken into consideration, kindly, while preceding.

I once again show my gratitude and sincerely thank you for taking time,
especially on the weekends, and reaching out directly with help and
detailed clarification.
Thanks
User:Titodutta

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Hi Nat,

Thank you very much for managing to put out a statement in a reasonable
timeframe, despite the harsh conditions most of all endure now. I can only
imagine how hard it has been to get to that.
Above all, thank you a lot for the sincerity and for the courage on taking
a blame that I'm certain is not (at least entirely) yours

As a very first reaction,

"*it is important to be clear: the Board absolutely can change the name of
the Wikimedia Foundation, even to the “Wikipedia Foundation,” if it
decides.*" - Of course you (Board) can, and it will have obvious
consequences. Stating that you can do whatever you please because you can,
looks unnecessary and aggressive. I wished you've not written that there

"*the exploratory project was and still is ongoing*" - The use of the word
"exploratory" here seems to directly contradict the established timeline
[1], which is about defining a concrete proposal and approving it or not,
not about exploring options. At least, not with the involvement of the
community. Can you please clarify?

"*The Board conversation about this is planned to happen during the August
meeting.*" - I hope you recall during that conversation that part of the
current Board terminated (or should have terminated) the mandate they were
elected to.

"*What are the possible outcomes for the August Board meeting on branding?
The Board can 1) stop the project, 2) pause the work being done or 3)
continue with it.*" - It is truly a relief that you are at least
considering as an option to stop or pause the branding project. However,
from the available timeline [1], what follows in August is the final
refinement, which seems to imply that whatever comes from the much
controversial survey going on - with all certainty, one of the 3
"Wikipedia" options - will be all that will be there to be continued. There
is no space nor time for any other version that does not include
"Wikipédia". Is this correct?

"*The currently open survey [6] is intended to find the best possible
outcome if the Foundation's (!) branding*" - This seems to imply the survey
is only about the Foundation "(!)" branding, but that's not what is written
there. This is how the survey starts: " With this survey, the 2030 Movement
Brand Project team invites your feedback on proposals for *movement* names
based on our best-known brand, Wikipedia. The proposed names apply to the
*movement*, the *affiliates* and the Foundation." You say the branding only
applies to the Foundation, the survey says it's also about affiliates, and
- and this is really surprising - to the whole movement, something it's not
really in the hands of the Board to decide, as the movement, as an organic
group of many different people with different opinions, voices, cultures,
is not controlled nor defined in the least by the Board. Could you please
clarify why you say the survey only applies to the Foundation, despite what
the survey itself states?

(when I write "you" here it is the Board, obviously, not you, Nat)

Thanks again for all your dedication, courage and sincerity,
Paulo

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project/Timeline

Nataliia Tymkiv <ntymkiv@wikimedia.org> escreveu no dia segunda, 22/06/2020
à(s) 01:44:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
What did the legal department have to say about The Wiki Foundation?
Will Ward end up with that one?

Does the executive staff and Board have a position on supporting the
.ia domain name for the Internet Archive, with the provision that
wikiped.ia is assigned to the Foundation in perpetuity?

Best regards,
Jim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
OK, you say that you take "full responsibility" for the situation. What
exactly does "full responsibility" entail? How will the relations between
the board and the communities differ compared to the moment *before* full
responsibility was taken?

Is the board changing the degree to which it will consider community
opinions?
Is the board allowing a wider set of possibilities of new names?
Is the board granting the possibility of no change at all?
Is the board inviting additional community representatives to the board for
the limited purpose of deciding on a new name or whether to rename?
Are members of the board who are responsible for this poor communication
with the community resigning from the board?
Are members of the board who are responsible for this poor communication
with the community recusing themselves from further votes on this specific
matter?
Are you, the person who is taking "full responsibility," resigning from the
board?

As far as I see, absolutely nothing has changed. In fact, certain things
have been made even stronger against the community. Why, in a plea to
better communication is it necessary to remind the community that the board
can do whatever they want?

"However, it is important to be clear: the Board absolutely can change the
name of the Wikimedia Foundation, even to the “Wikipedia Foundation,” if it
decides."?

Imagine I'm driving with three friends in my car and we're deciding where
to go for dinner. They all say "anything but pizza." I respond, "well, I
have the keys and you're in my car, so it's pizza."

After some grumbling, I tell them that their opinions are important and
that they can pick the toppings for their pizzas. Well, not pick the
toppings, but they can choose between "pepperoni," "extra pepperoni" or
"half-pepperoni."

Naturally, there's some consternation about why I'm doing this and how
that's not exactly a choice. Then I remind them that I'm still picking the
toppings too, but their input on whether we get pepperoni, extra pepperoni,
or half-pepperoni is super-valuable and will be taken into consideration.

But I take "full responsibility" for people being unhappy with dinner
choice! Oh yeah, I absolutely get to decided whether we have pepperoni,
extra pepperoni, or half-pepperoni, because, well, I have the keys and it's
my car and it's too bad.

But they're all super appreciated and their opinions are valuable!

One thing I've learned from my years at ESPN/ABC is when I'm being fed a
line of nonsense through the medium of vanilla corporate-speak. And, I'm
sad to say, the community is being fed a massive heap of nonsense. None of
this will change until such time the movement itself is treated like a
*real* stakeholder, not simply the conveniently unpaid employees of a board
with unlimited discretion to do whatever it wants, irrespective of any
opinions of the community. Until such time as there's a state in which the
board recognizes that they're the servants of the movements, the people who
turn the steering wheel of the ship and not the captain, this state of
affairs will continue to exist.

Best,

Dan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Greetings,

Hope my mail finds you in the best of health and spirit. I like to take the opportunity to thank you for a penning a detailed email with clarification. Yes, we all looking forward for a better possible outcome.

Stay healthy and be safe.

Best Regards,
Rajeeb.
(U: Marajozkee)
(Sent from my iPhone pardon the brevity)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Thank you Nat. I'm Dutch, and the Dutch are known to be direct, and even I
find your extensive statement direct. That was your intent to do. Thanks, I
welcome that. I know nearly every other culture would prefer less direct
communication.

As an employer you have a duty to protect your employees against
intimidation by volunteers. As a volunteer I also like to be protected
against intimidation.

In this process I have a lonely voice among volunteers, and I do not feel
intimidated. This in contrast to conversations years ago. Maybe I have
developed.

I wish you have adequate procedures to deal with situations in which
employees are intimidated.

The emotions are high among many volunteers, who feel betrayed, not seen
and not heard, and not recognized for their volunteer work.

Volunteers care for the autonomy of the online communities to self govern.
They fear the brand renaming as a power grap by the WMF to control the
projects, and moreover favor one over all the others.

Commons and Wikidata are big projects now, and volunteers fear that
renaming to Wikipedia will change the status of those projects, and fear
less attention or support for those projects by the Foundation.

Could you please indicate the position of the Board with respect to
autonomy and self governance of the online communities, and with respect to
support for Commons, Wikidata and other sister projects?

Another fear by many volunteers is on going centralization, centering more
power and resources in the Foundation, in contrast with affiliates and
communities. One of the central themes of the 2018-2020 Strategy process
was a clear call for decentralization and creation of regional/thematic
hubs.

Could you please indicate the position of the Board with respect to
centralization and decentralization?

My estimate is that the Foundation will raise between 2 and 3 billion
dollars between now and 2030. Mostly from small donor contributions.

Could you indicate the Board estimate for this period, and indicate in
which direction you plan to spend the revenue? What will be the slice of
the cake for the affiliates. It looks like that by 2030 there will be
enough money to fund an affiliate office in every country. How likely is a
move in that direction?

Deadline to respond is 14 calendar days. Please do extend the answering
period of the survey with 14 days as well, so people will be able to digest
answers to the above questions before filling out the survey.

Have a nice day,

Ad Huikeshoven

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
This explanation has gone a long way from ensuring this isn't a movement,
it's not considering us as a community either, there's no concept of
collaboration, nor seeking of consensus, and this is tearing down the
Foundation of what made Wikipedia what it is so it's probably not good to
use that either. It's closer to a revolt, yet I wonder what tense it will
be in.

I think its fair to call for you to stand aside since taking full
responsibility for the failing to communicate the Boards actions with the
community and the communities position with the Board.

You have made it abundantly clear that the Board is not going to engage
meaningfully with the community you represent, your position is no longer
tenable as a community representative.

The choice is yours to resign because the The Board isnt considering the
community as a key part of what we have created, or because you
arent representing the community's voice on the Board.

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 14:01, Rajeeb Dutta <marajozkee@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > [4]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project/Executive_statement
> >

> > [5]
> >
> https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Brand_Project_Support_(May_2020)
> >

> > [6] 2030 Movement Brand Project: Naming Convention Proposals Survey:
> > https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9G2dN7P0T7gPqpD
> >
> > [7] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes/2013-11#Movement_roles
> > [8]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Naming_guidelines
> >
> > *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal
> working
> > hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
> > should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in

GN.

*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*
Wikimania Bangkok 2021
August
hosted by ESEAP

Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
My print shop: https://www.redbubble.com/people/Gnangarra/shop?asc=u
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Hi Nataliia,

Thank you for your statement as the current Chair of WMF Board of Trustees.

If the Wikimedia Foundation wants to change its name and if it has the
right to do whatever it can, then I can just hope that WMF has considered
all the consequences. But I am confused on how affiliates are dragged into
this and how this survey considers affiliates within its scope. Affiliates
are governed by different boards or other governance structures and they
have different Bylaws, which govern them. Many of them are registered and
have to follow their native country's laws. WMF board cannot dictate them
to change as per this survey. Even if some affiliates plan to change their
names, who will take care of all the legal issues which will come to them
while accepting the name Wikipedia? Who will take care of all the
volunteers and affiliate members from the oppressive regimes, when they
will be harassed or arrested for displaying disputed maps on Wikipedia not
compliant with country's laws, or for some information about the country's
dictator or the ruling party etc.?

Many of us find no reason and are still not convinced to fill up this
survey. It is a closed survey and there are only three such options, which
seemed ridiculous to many of us. To me, it looks like that if we are being
given three choices whether to 1) jump from a six-storeyed building and die
2) get hanged and die or 3) take Organophosphate poison and die and rate
among them which one we prefer. I don't know about others, but obviously,
none of these three options are acceptable to me as a good choice of death.
The survey has given us a fourth option where we can give our choice, but
considering the brand team has ignored all the discussions on meta and
other platforms, how will we believe that the fourth option will be duly
taken care of. How will it be ensured that transparency will be there while
dealing with the survey results? Personally, I don't find any reason to
believe after the RfC was totally ignored.

In your statement, you have not said anything about how the WMF will
support the sister projects in the future, after you even plan to change
their movement tag. Do you commit to not ignore the sister projects any
more and invest significantly on them, so that they can flourish with their
true potential? How do you plan to preserve the separate identity and
autonomy of the sister project communities after you tag them as Wikipedia
project?

Regards,
Bodhisattwa

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Hi Natalii (and everyone)

Thank you for this mail. I know this was hard to write, also knowing that it will be dissected by a lot of people who will read it with a perspective all of their own.

Having been on the other side of the fence I know how hard it is to (re)gain trust after mistakes have been made (and to be clear, mistakes have and will be made by everyone). In my opinion this is caused by an existing tension between the volunteer movement and the Foundation which is based mostly on emotions and a difference of opinion with regards to the best path forward for a lot of issues. Everyone seems to remember the time that the Foundation was tone deaf, but no one recalls all the things that are going well. So it is encouraging to read that we still have time before the board has to make this decision (and to understand that the deciion has not been made)

Honestly: I realise that people find it annoying to be reminded that the board has the authority to change the name of the Foundation. But apart from being very direct it is not only true, but also your responsibility. As I stated elsewhere I look towards the board to make a decision which looks at the benefits (which could be financial or otherwise) and the costs (which in this case seem to include a lot of resistance from the community). Apparently you are not in a position to make that decision at this time, and that is understandable.

However: there is a question if you can accurately measure the outcome of the survey as it is formulated now (which should give you a good indication of the movements feelings on this topic)… I have heard several people complain that it is “not easy” to fill in the survey to indicate that one is against a name change altogether. It might be a good idea to make this an easier option or gauge feedback in another way. by pausing or restarting the community consultation process in a different way.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Jan-Bart de Vreede

PS: I am thinking of making a standard disclaimer under my emails on topics such as these: During my 9 years as a Board member of the Foundation I have made mistakes and so have the people I worked with, both volunteers and staff. I have however never doubted anyone’s intentions and have always noticed that tensions such as these are also fueled by a passion that can only come from caring a lot about the subject matter. It is often easy to forget that. I take the blame for the mistakes that were made during my tenure, and I hope that the above remarks can be seen as constructive.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Please take a step back. The Wikimedia Foundation is incorporated in a way
specifically designed to prevent the community from taking over. The
problem with the community is that there is no community as such; there is
a movement that includes different communities with different needs and
with different expectations. The bottom line is what we are there for. For
me it is sharing in the sum of all knowledge. Depending on how you look at
it we do a great job or we have the biggest job in front of us. I think we
have our biggest job in front of us.

The notion of Wikipedia something is from a marketing point of view easy.
It is the best known brand and it has a huge recognition, a huge positive
recognition. However, where we are weakest our brand is weakest and as such
it makes sense to go Wikipedia. From a community point of view, it is
problematic. For me the most problematic part is that Wikipedia is
primarily associated with English Wikipedia and it prevents modernisation
even when it will improve its quality.

We should not burden our movement by identifying it with this
Anglo/American legacy.

In conclusion, the Wikimedia Foundation is structurally separated from by
those people who address themselves as the community. Like me, they are
not. Unlike me they do not consider why marketing has a place in our
movement and, it is more than just getting attention for the Wikipedia
product.
Thanks,
Gerard

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
From the beginning, WMF vs. Wikipedia has been the dynamic tension between
structure and the community. I was one of the strongest advocates of
structure. Fundraising and the US-centric approach were the core beliefs
for WMF, as a means of guaranteeing survival when survival was a couple of
hundred servers in one place and a huge bandwidth bill. Today, the
community is everywhere around the globe, and the structural dichotomy
remains the same, but at scale. It is hard to hear the words "several
billions of dollars" and know the Foundation is in real estate in San
Francisco, with staff being paid princely sums, in the rich country where
the streets are paved with gold. It is a world away, and more importantly,
a mental frame away.

Like it or not, commercialism, "branding" and so forth require
significantly more communication than board room conversation and a survey.
I get it. I really do. One of my many mistakes during my tenure with WMF
was authorizing Wikipedia headers during fundraising (the first million
dollar fundraiser). The miscalculation was extraordinary, and opened one of
many such conversations in the ebb and flow of the organization. People of
good faith in the community the world over have diametrically opposed
viewpoints about what should be done when it comes to commercialism.

I'm also an intellectual property lawyer who put his name on the puzzle
logo trademark application. Protection of the "brand" (I hate that - I
prefer marks) is an incredibly important function that cannot be carried
out by the community, legally. The Foundation's job is to hold these marks
and the identity of the community sacred. If I may be direct, that's where
you screwed up. The Board has a lot of work to do now to return to the idea
that you need to be a fiduciary for the community. You need to hold the
community's interest and identity sacred. Now is the time to pause before
even more tremendous damage is done.

If the Foundation is leaving money on the table by not exploiting its
Brand, so be it. "The Foundation" as a commercial organization has utterly
lost sight of who it works for if "the Brand" is the subject of the
conversation. YOU ARE TRUSTEES OF A COMMUNITY OF INTERESTS, AND THAT MEANS
PEOPLE - THE COMMUNITY - FIRST. Stop acting like a hedge fund. Stop
listening to whoever is bringing you statistics like you are any other
commercial organization. Be better. Any other 501(c) organization talks
about how it responds to its "members". Except WMF has the community, not
"members". And it's much more powerful because it is organized in that
fashion.

You have lost your way. Press pause, now. You have no deadline for 2021 -
that's arbitrary. Rethink the sacred obligation you have to the people
around the world who pour their souls and blood into free culture and the
aspiration of free knowledge. That's who you work for. The Foundation
doesn't protect "its" brands. It works for the community, as trustees of
their cultural contributions. Go back to the drawing board and get straight
with that first.

wrote:

> [...]
>
> [4]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project/Executive_statement
>

> [5]
>
> https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Brand_Project_Support_(May_2020)
>

> [6] 2030 Movement Brand Project: Naming Convention Proposals Survey:
> https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9G2dN7P0T7gPqpD
>
> [7] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes/2013-11#Movement_roles
> [8]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Naming_guidelines
>
> *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
> hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
> should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in

Bradford A. Patrick, Esq.
Law Offices of Bradford A. Patrick PA
4610 North Central Avenue
Heights Exchange Building
Tampa, Florida 33603
bap@baplegal.com
www.baplegal.com
813-384-8548 vox
813-333-7321 fax
BradPatrick Skype
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Hi Gnangarra

I find your request for Nat to resign uncalled for…. and not in the least because of the common misconception you have with regards to the role of Board members of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Quoting from the excellent Wikimedia Board Handbook(1)

"WMF is an entrusted steward within the Wikimedia movement. The Board's role (and legal obligation) is to oversee the management of the organization and ensure that it fulfills its mission and responsibilities as a steward. To help accomplish this, the Board maintains a strong connection to the Wikimedia communities. For example, WMF's bylaws require that a majority of Board seats (not including the Founder's seat and non-member officer positions) be filled by candidates selected by the communities and chapters, and appointed by the incumbent Board members - an unusual requirement for a nonprofit board. Board members are often active community members as well. That said, Board members have a fiduciary duty to represent the overall WMF interests during their service on the Board – not just the interests of chapters or certain parts of the communities. “

So while the community certainly gets to elect board members, these board members have obligations once they are appointed to the board. And yes: that also means getting community input, but all board members should be concerned with that, not just those elected by the community.

Jan-Bart

1) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Handbook#Fiduciary_duties
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 12:26 PM Jan-Bart de Vreede <jan-bart@wikimedia.nl>
wrote:

> Hi Gnangarra
>
> I find your request for Nat to resign uncalled for…. and not in the least
> because of the common misconception you have with regards to the role of
> Board members of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Resigning is precisely what "taking full responsibility" entails here. So
then what does "taking full responsibility" mean if nothing is to change?

As for the community board seats, the board has arbitrarily changed both
term lengths and moved elections forward, again with no input from the
community. It's going to be *years* after the Fram incident until the
community gets to have any referendum on the actions, inactions, or
conflicts-of-interest among community-elected board members.

And people are absolutely entitled to call for the resignation of members
of the board that aren't community elected. That they're not directly
elected by the community does not cloister them from criticism by the
community. Are people under 18 or non-Americans not allowed to criticize
the president of the United States?
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:26 AM Gnangarra <gnangarra@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think its fair to call for you to stand aside since taking full
> responsibility for the failing to communicate the Boards actions with the
> community and the communities position with the Board.

Really, no.

We want Board members who are prepared to take responsibility and prepared
to communicate in a clear and honest way. It would have been easy (but
wrong) to hide behind staff members, or not say anything until there had
been a Board meeting, or to address less of the issues.

Reading the Board's self-assessment that was published on Meta the other
month, there are clearly issues with how well the Board works at the
moment. I do not really understand why or what, but it's clear they're
there. But getting rid of Board members who take responsibility for things
and engage with the community on difficult issues is not the answer.

Chris
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
(Just reminding that Nat was not elected by the community, as Gnangarra
seems to think, but by the affiliates.)

Jan-Bart de Vreede <jan-bart@wikimedia.nl> escreveu no dia segunda,
22/06/2020 à(s) 17:26:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]

> (Just reminding that Nat was not elected by the community, as Gnangarra

seems to think, but by the affiliates.)

Taking responsibility for a gross failure does in fact mean accepting and
acknowledging you failed, and then stating what you intend to do to rectify
that failing.

I know Nat was elected by the Affiliates, her seat is one those that are
there to represent the community. I also know that Nat insulted an ESEAP
affiliate because she wanted a European affiliate to endorse her
nomination. I would also point out that Affiliates are there to
represent the communities they serve as well. While I called for her
resignation I hold no expectation that it will actually take place given
past interactions, in fact there's very few people who have gathered power
within this "movement" that would actually willingly stand aside because of
a principle.

There is a greater problem within the "movement" than just The Board,
changing names isnt going to change those problems. There are many fine,
extremely well skilled people with lots to offer the movement that
arent from Europe or the US but we have a blind spot to those
communities, its almost as if the movement is acting as 17th century
colonial entity.

Wikimedia is greater than Wikipedia which is just one of our many parts. We
need to embrace all of those parts if we are to grow, instead of clutching
onto one part we need to put effort into making the other parts household
names as well. Wikipedia will always be just an encyclopaedia, we need to
take on the sum of all our parts because this "movement", this "community"
is greater than just an encyclopaedia if The Board cant see this then we
are in real trouble what ever the name becomes.

In a little bit of irony Asimovs Foundation also floundered because it
became focused on the encyclopaedia and nothing else mattered.

Boodar-wun

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> 2020. 6. 23. 14:13, Gnangarra <gnangarra@gmail.com> ??:
>
> Nat insulted an ESEAP
> affiliate because she wanted a European affiliate to endorse her
> nomination.

Fact check: that was Shani Evanstein.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2019/Nominations/Shani_Evenstein
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
That one first, and second that it does not even matter. We should
appreciate that Nat came up with this statement, which is written in her
name, not even as a Board resolution, perfectly knowing that it would not
be fully accepted by the active part of the community, and she woull be a
target of attacks. I fully agree that the attacks are absolutely uncalled
for, even if many of us find the statement insufficient.

We are clearly in the middle of a pretty deep crisis (which was, to be
honest, fully predictable) and we must welcome all efforts to deal with the
crisis. It is unfortunate that these crises come all over and over again,
and I believe this is a structural problem (there is some helpful
discussion at the Meta talk page, which will probably not follow up as
similar discussions have never been followed up previously). This is not a
situation created by the current Board members, and whereas they are
partially responsible for not solving it (in the same sense they are
responsible for everything happening in the WikiVerse), there is no reason
they should resign over it.

Best regards
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
My apologies for that error

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
And there never was any insult or anything close to that, just a
misunderstanding, which I believe was clarified.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Thank you, Nataliia, for stepping forward and clearing out some of the
confusion. That helps.

But not all the confusion gets cleared for me regarding the survey process.
For example, X marks Option 1 as 'Disagree' and Option 2 as 'Strongly
Disagree'. The score points for 'Disagree' is -1 and 'Strongly Disagree' is
-2. Will the report say, 'X prefers Option 1 over Option 2', just because
mathematically -1 is greater than -2?

Please pardon my lack of understanding of reporting formats, as I could not
find the information on how the result of this survey will be interpreted
and presented to the board.

BR,
Shabab

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Brad: this was brilliant, thank you.

I have been thinking about how to phrase this all week, and you touched it
with a needle.

The Foundation's one undelegable role is to protect the community identity
through its marks.
That is a foundation upon which all else rests.

There are many ways we can improve our visibility and use of marks in
different regions.
This is a task facing all of us in our own communities. (And in this,
passion and persistence can be as important as a great concept.)

But it is self-destructive for our mark-protector to repurpose a project
name against the wishes of its community. It is no better to circle the
question, saying "we are only considering it. of course we have the
unilateral right to do this, the project name is *our* mark and not *yours*".
That cuts deep — like carving out one's own heart to realize one of its
passing desires.

Brad wrote:
> Protection of the [marks] is an incredibly important function that cannot
be carried out by the community, legally.
> The Foundation's job is to hold these marks and the identity of the
community sacred.
> If I may be direct, that's where you screwed up. The Board has a lot of
work to do now to return to the idea
> that you need to be a fiduciary for the community. You need to hold the community's
interest and identity sacred.
> Now is the time to pause before even more tremendous damage is done.

Our ethos includes self-governance, collaboration, and public iteration.
Let us embody that in this discussion. We should also be always prepared
<https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Umberto_Eco> to rebuild the encyclopedia (or
any aspect of free knowledge) from scratch. Let us not rest on our
laurels, and continue building anew.

Sam.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
I second Jan-Bart; thanks to Nat for this letter. As someone who asked for
a board statement, I appreciate this very much. And as someone who has also
been on the other side, like Jan-Bart I am aware of how much work a
statement like this likely took (and how difficult it is to balance many
perspectives, and address many audiences, knowing many will be irritated or
angry in any controversial debate).

I also take heart -- honestly and genuinely -- that we are debating this
issue. I am glad that enough people care about Wikimedia, and what it
means, that they are willing to argue the point -- it would be a sad day
indeed if that wasn't true. I take heart that we do want more people to
join our projects and movement, and are exploring ways to do that --
including how people know of us, our names and brands. I also, lastly, want
to acknowledge Brad's post, with which I agree. It is a fundamental role of
the Foundation to hold our marks in trust on behalf of the community. This
(like hosting the servers themselves, or other essential infrastructure
work) is part of what we need a corporate entity for. And our legal team,
over many years and many GCs and leaders, has done an admirable job of
defending those marks and keeping them for all of us. I appreciate that
very much. Keeping the marks is a social trust as well as a legal one, and
that social aspect is what we find ourselves discussing now.

For the staff involved, I want to acknowledge that many of you have been
working on this for years, and it must feel like you cannot win, or that
there is not enough consultation in the world. Is there enough consultation
in the world to get hundreds of thousands of Wikimedians to all agree?
Probably not, no. But is there enough consultation to, as the Quakers would
say, discern the sense of the meeting? I think that there is, and I think
with every consultation exercise we get closer to finding that consensus. I
wrote elsewhere on Meta that I was profoundly disappointed in this process.
That is true, and yet: I am also profoundly glad that I, and so many of us,
have such high standards for our movement -- our absolutely unique,
sometimes infuriating, and profoundly essential movement, that values
debate and dissent, collaboration and consensus. That is a brand we all
keep in trust.

-- Phoebe

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 6:25 AM Jan-Bart de Vreede <jan-bart@wikimedia.nl>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > [4]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project/Executive_statement
> >

> > [5]
> >
> https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Brand_Project_Support_(May_2020)
> >

> > [6] 2030 Movement Brand Project: Naming Convention Proposals Survey:
> > https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9G2dN7P0T7gPqpD
> >
> > [7] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Minutes/2013-11#Movement_roles
> > [8]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Naming_guidelines
> >
> > *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal
> working
> > hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
> > should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board Update on Branding [ In reply to ]
Considering the context, Gnangarra, I think you owe something a little more
substantial. In the midst of tearing Nat down for misdeeds which you
yourself acknowledge she didn't personally commit (that of Board
miscommunication), and considering your opposition is based on Board
directives that she did not write, you slandered her with an accusation
that is both incorrectly applied to her and false in any case.

As you said, "Taking responsibility for a gross failure does in fact mean
accepting and acknowledging you failed, and then stating what you intend to
do to rectify that failing." I await your demonstration of this principle
which is clearly so critically important to you. Nataliia is a human being
and a volunteer, as are we all, and we should all be better than to toss
off gross insults against colleagues on no basis whatsoever.

On the topic, I think others have said it very well - the core problem is
that this rebranding approach is backward. It should have begun with
community conversations, with a "grass roots" effort to develop a common
understanding of the problem. Instead the Board decided, paid some people a
lot of money to present a narrow range of options, and planned the
community consultation as a last and limited step. These are serious errors
with significant consequences, as we see.