Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.)
Hi all,

Annual Reviews, an independent, nonprofit scholarly research publisher,
seeks an enthusiastic Wikipedian-in-Residence (WIR).

The aim of this role is to improve Wikipedia’s coverage of the sciences by
citing expert articles from Annual Reviews’ journals. The WIR will engage
with Wikipedia editors across life, biomedical, physical, and social
science articles and WikiProjects to help ensure responsible and valuable
expansion of content.

This is a temporary position for 10 hours/week, paid at $30/hour USD, and
is anticipated to last for up to 1 year. This position can only be based
remotely from the following states: CA, OR, OH, NV, NC, WA, WI, CO, MA, PA,
NY, HI, or MT.

PLEASE APPLY!
https://annualreviewsnews.org/2020/02/25/seeking-a-wikipedian-in-residence/

Cheers,

Jake Orlowitz
*Founder of The Wikipedia Library*
*Seeker of well people and sane societies*
kickstarter: bit.ly/CircleKickstarter
me: jakeorlowitz.com
mail: jorlowitz@gmail.com
media: @jakeorlowitz <http://twitter.com/jakeorlowitz>
book: welcometothecircle.net
Re: [Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.) [ In reply to ]
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the news. I am glad that there will be another opportunity
for a Wikimedian in Residence.

However, I request that none of us use all caps in subjects on the
mailing lists, and that we be very limited in our use of tags such as
"important". There is a large volume of information that comes through
email, and threads that seem important to one subset of people may not
be important to other subsets of people. Two tags that I'm somewhat
okay with are (1) "time sensitive", although in practice what I often
find that "time sensitive" means is "I, the sender, am late in sending
this email and am requesting that other people hurry because I am
late", and (2) "breaking change", which I occasionally see on
technical mailing lists.

I hope that this makes sense.

Thank you,

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.) [ In reply to ]
> This position can only be based
> remotely from the following states: CA, OR, OH, NV, NC, WA, WI, CO, MA, PA,
> NY, HI, or MT.
>
> PLEASE APPLY!

You might have a slight mismatch between the audience that reads this mailing list, and your rather arbitrary geographic location requirement. Perhaps consider changing one of them?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.) [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Speaking as a person within the great state of Vermont, (not included in
the list):

This mailing list has a lot of people on it, many of which are not within
the United States, if not most. And of those who are in the United States,
there’s a large chance that they’re not in one of those states.

It seems unnecessary to email an very large mailing list seeking an editor,
for what is basically paid editing, from a very small geographic area.

Regards,
Vermont

Re: [Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.) [ In reply to ]
As a long time on and off subscriber to this list for many years, I want to
say that I do find posts about jobs like this very useful, unlike posts
complaining about capitalization and geography. It is informative and
exciting to find out where Wikipedia projects are making in-roads, and what
better place to find an experienced job candidate who will respect
community norms and policies while editing on behalf of an employer.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.) [ In reply to ]
I don't think the posting itself is inappropriate. It's Wikimedia-related
business, and that, broadly, is what this list is for.

Still, the use of ALL CAPS for a subject which will only be of relevance to
a small fraction of readers is indeed a bit much. (And that's true even
beyond geography; I live in Colorado, but I'm not interested in such a
position.) So, I think that particular complaint is valid. Use regular
case, and let the reader decide whether it's of importance to them.

Todd

Re: [Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.) [ In reply to ]
I also find it good to hear about these opportunities, I work with students
doing both under graduate and post graduate studies these emails enable me
to show to them that there are future opportunities and value in working
with Wikimedia projects. Even though the scope is small and appears
unlikely to be of interest I have had a student complete their studies here
in Perth, Western Australia and utilize those skill after taking up a
position at University in Johannesburg South Africa. I also know of two
students who have made applications to do doctoral studies in the US based
on these opportunities, and another person who applied for a UK WiR
position.

These opportunities are a very important aspect of sharing knowledge, and
community development as for all caps its really not that significant in
the greater scheme of things

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 07:35, Todd Allen <toddmallen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think the posting itself is inappropriate. It's Wikimedia-related
> business, and that, broadly, is what this list is for.
>
> Still, the use of ALL CAPS for a subject which will only be of relevance to
> a small fraction of readers is indeed a bit much. (And that's true even
> beyond geography; I live in Colorado, but I'm not interested in such a
> position.) So, I think that particular complaint is valid. Use regular
> case, and let the reader decide whether it's of importance to them.
>
> Todd
>
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:28 PM Robert Fernandez <wikigamaliel@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > As a long time on and off subscriber to this list for many years, I want
> > say that I do find posts about jobs like this very useful, unlike posts
> > complaining about capitalization and geography. It is informative and
> > exciting to find out where Wikipedia projects are making in-roads, and
> what
> > better place to find an experienced job candidate who will respect
> > community norms and policies while editing on behalf of an employer.
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:40 PM Jake Orlowitz <jorlowitz@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Annual Reviews, an independent, nonprofit scholarly research publisher,
> > > seeks an enthusiastic Wikipedian-in-Residence (WIR).
> > >
> > > The aim of this role is to improve Wikipedia’s coverage of the sciences
> > by
> > > citing expert articles from Annual Reviews’ journals. The WIR will
> engage
> > > with Wikipedia editors across life, biomedical, physical, and social
> > > science articles and WikiProjects to help ensure responsible and
> valuable
> > > expansion of content.
> > >
> > > This is a temporary position for 10 hours/week, paid at $30/hour USD,
> and
> > > is anticipated to last for up to 1 year. This position can only be
> based
> > > remotely from the following states: CA, OR, OH, NV, NC, WA, WI, CO, MA,
> > PA,
> > > NY, HI, or MT.
> > >
> > > PLEASE APPLY!
> > >

> https://annualreviewsnews.org/2020/02/25/seeking-a-wikipedian-in-residence/
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Jake Orlowitz
> > > *Founder of The Wikipedia Library*
> > > *Seeker of well people and sane societies*
> > > kickstarter: bit.ly/CircleKickstarter
> > > me: jakeorlowitz.com
> > > mail: jorlowitz@gmail.com
> > > media: @jakeorlowitz <http://twitter.com/jakeorlowitz>
> > > book: welcometothecircle.net

GN.

*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*
Wikimania Bangkok 2020
August 5 to 9
hosted by ESEAP

Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
Re: [Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.) [ In reply to ]
I won't claim to speak for an entire state, but as a Vermont resident I
find I have no objection to this post.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] SEEKING A WIKIPEDIAN IN RESIDENCE! (U.S.) [ In reply to ]
Community norms here include not using all caps in subject lines.
There isn't a rule that says not to use them, but I can't recall ever
seeing them here, and I don't want anyone to start. This is not CNN,
Fox News, or Facebook.

I'm accepting of people sending emails here that are somewhat
subject-specific or location-specific when the volume of those emails
is modest and people seem to understand that many such emails are
often more appropriate for lists with more specific focuses, such as
WikimediaUS-l or the GLAM list. If there becomes a problem with this
list being used too extensively for emails with specific focuses that
are not of wide interest to the subscribers of this list, we can
address that when the time comes.

Pine

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 11:28 PM Robert Fernandez