Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open
Wikimania is fast approaching, this year it'll be held in Bangkok and as
always the Wikimedia Foundation has a limited number of opportunities to
assist people to attend. There are two types of scholarships the first
being a full scholarship which covers, travel, accommodation, and
registration, the second a partial scholarship that covers accommodation
and registration.

This year for the first time East, South East Asia, and Pacific (ESEAP) as
collaboration between the region we'll be your host for Wikimania. The
region has placed a high importance on collaboration and knowledge sharing
this years Wikimania program will reflect that. Our theme is;
*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*

How does this impact on scholarship? ESEAP is looking for people who are
prepared to share their knowledge to help develop potential future
leaders. We'll be looking for two broad areas of contributions, from those
who have successfully developed programs, and those newer contributors who
want to develop their skills to do more but have never been to a Wikimania
to broaden their support networks.

As you apply please agree to share your details with the local affiliate
should they also have scholarships available. When answering questions if
you have urls to reports, dashboards, and events reports please provide
them. Rather than writing lots of words again have your past recordings
speak.

On behalf of ESEAP community, and the Scholarship committee we look forward
to seeing you in Bangkok in August.

--
Gnangarra
Wikimania Scholarship committee Co-chair

*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*
Wikimania Bangkok 2020
August 5 to 9
hosted by ESEAP

Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
Hi Gnangarra,

With the Corona virus spreading rapidly around the world: can you tell me
(us) something about the scenario for Wikimania when the virus would still
be heavily active in August?
People might want to wait a bit longer before applying, or maybe want to
know more about cancelling their travels after they have confirmed the
scholarship. Will this be possible?

Vriendelijke groet,
Ciell

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
Hi Ciell

ESEAP team and the WMF are meeting later this week with discussion on this
very issue on the agenda. As it stands we have been following the changes
and recommendations of many countries in relation to travel to Thailand and
Bangkok. The WMF team is also following developments, as you can imagine
its a very dynamic situation. At this stage we are continuing the
scholarship application process because there isnt the time frame necessary
to delay while waiting for further developments occur so we can more
assured of the necessary measures that will need to be taken.

For people who dont get scholarships, or are already planning to fund their
own travel there for once waiting is becoming an advantage as the cost of
travel is dropping and there will be incentives to encourage people to
travel. Anyone making bookings I recommend you obtain insurance that
covers you for all eventualities especially scenarios related to the virus.

Community safety is at the absolute forefront of our plans and concerns.

Regards

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 19:05, Ciell Wikipedia <ciell.wikipedia@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Gnangarra,
>
> With the Corona virus spreading rapidly around the world: can you tell me
> (us) something about the scenario for Wikimania when the virus would still
> be heavily active in August?
> People might want to wait a bit longer before applying, or maybe want to
> know more about cancelling their travels after they have confirmed the
> scholarship. Will this be possible?
>
> Vriendelijke groet,
> Ciell
>

> Op do 20 feb. 2020 om 21:46 schreef Gnangarra <gnangarra@gmail.com>:
>
> > Wikimania is fast approaching, this year it'll be held in Bangkok and as
> > always the Wikimedia Foundation has a limited number of opportunities to
> > assist people to attend. There are two types of scholarships the first
> > being a full scholarship which covers, travel, accommodation, and
> > registration, the second a partial scholarship that covers accommodation
> > and registration.
> >
> > This year for the first time East, South East Asia, and Pacific (ESEAP)
> as
> > collaboration between the region we'll be your host for Wikimania. The
> > region has placed a high importance on collaboration and knowledge
> sharing
> > this years Wikimania program will reflect that. Our theme is;
> > *Power of Diverse Collaboration*
> > *Sharing knowledge brings people together*
> >
> > How does this impact on scholarship? ESEAP is looking for people who are
> > prepared to share their knowledge to help develop potential future
> > leaders. We'll be looking for two broad areas of contributions, from
> those
> > who have successfully developed programs, and those newer contributors
> who
> > want to develop their skills to do more but have never been to a
> Wikimania
> > to broaden their support networks.
> >
> > As you apply please agree to share your details with the local affiliate
> > should they also have scholarships available. When answering questions if
> > you have urls to reports, dashboards, and events reports please provide
> > them. Rather than writing lots of words again have your past recordings
> > speak.
> >
> > On behalf of ESEAP community, and the Scholarship committee we look
> forward
> > to seeing you in Bangkok in August.
> >
> > --
> > Gnangarra
> > Wikimania Scholarship committee Co-chair
> >
> > *Power of Diverse Collaboration*
> > *Sharing knowledge brings people together*
> > Wikimania Bangkok 2020
> > August 5 to 9
> > hosted by ESEAP
> >
> > Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
> > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

GN.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your response!

Ciell

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
Dear Gnangarra,

On your last email in this thread you mentioned that you will discuss
situation with corona virus CoVid-19, regarding upcoming Wikimania. I know
that nobody have enough information, but following all the news and
following recent developments, could you please update us about this issue
on this thread.

Thank you
Toni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
From a personal perspective, I have cancelled all future travel plans and
have requested that everyone I work with do the same. I am of course in
healthcare. Please note that this is not official advise.

James

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
I too have cancelled all personal/work/wiki travel plans. The risks are far too great.

A single infection at the conference, depending on who/where, has the potential to cause significant damage to the Movement.

I understand the sheer effort that has already been put, but I strongly hope the Foundation will postpone the conference or cancel this year's conference for the safety of the volunteers, and to prevent the risk of spreading it to more parts of the world.

Yours truly,

Rehman<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rehman>

________________________________

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I believe it likely is too early to make a decision. We have a professional
team at the WMF monitoring the situation, but the date is still 5 months in
the future.

It is reasonable to expect that we may need to make adjustments to the
situation as it develops and in 2-3 months it will be much clearer where we
stand.

For now, I think it is already fair to say that the WMF leadership is not
shying away from difficult decisions (the summit cancellation, closing down
the office, canceling international travel for staff) and clearly
prioritizes our safety.

I trust the judgment of our staff when they communicate clearly that they
are considering all options and will.make a decision in due time.

Best,

Dj "pundit"

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
Kaya Toni and the Community

We are trying to assemble the latest up to date advice we can get, as you
can imagine thats a very complex task given how wide spread our community
is and the shifting dynamics of the current situation. While ESEAP is the
host for the Wikimania we still need the WMF, its events team, the Board,
and the Wikimania Committee to agree to what is decided. I dont wish to
preempt any outcome and I hope everyone can keep an open mind about what
lays ahead while we endeavor to provide a more specific answer.

I wish I could give you a more direct answer but for now your patience is
very much appreciated.

Boodar-wun
Gnangarra

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2020 Wikimania Scholarships now open [ In reply to ]
As very practical question for the scholarships: should people be spending
time on the scholarships right now, or would it be fair to postpone the
deadline until a bit after this hard decision has been made?

Best,
Lodewijk