Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Coming up: A Knowlege Equity Calendar
Hi all,

I’m delighted to pre-announce a small communication initiative called
“Knowledge Equity Calendar” for the upcoming weeks:

Back in 2017, the Wikimedia Movement agreed on its Strategic Direction with
its core goal to be the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free
knowledge until 2030.[1] One priority to achieve this goal is called
"Knowledge Equity" (As a social movement, we will focus our efforts on the
knowledge and communities that have been left out by structures of power
and privilege. We will welcome people from every background to build strong
and diverse communities. We will break down the social, political, and
technical barriers preventing people from accessing and contributing to
free knowledge.). But what does that mean in your context? What are others
already doing to translate “Knowledge Equity” from the strategic to the
programmatic level?

In the light of the last days and weeks of the year, we'd like to adapt the
German tradition of the “Advent calendar
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_calendar>” counting the days towards
Christmas (December 1 to 24), and share one story per day via Meta[2] and
Wikimedia Space blog[3] on how Wikimedians are working towards achieving
Knowledge Equity in their respective context. The idea is mainly to inspire
Wikimedians what other Wikimedians are already doing. We’ll use Wikimedia
Deutschland's Twitter and Facebook accounts to accompany that.

On Meta, the translation extension is activated – so if you like, chip in
and translate the stories to your language. Or just share the stories with
other Wikimedians to show what kind of cool and inspiring initiatives and
projects working towards Knowledge Equity we already have in the Wikimedia
movement.

If you have any questions about the initiative, the stories, or what an
Advent calendar is, feel free to send me a message.

Happy reading and sharing,

Cornelius

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Direction

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Equity_Calendar

[3] https://space.wmflabs.org/blog/

--
Cornelius Kibelka
Internationale Beziehungen | International Relations

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Coming up: A Knowlege Equity Calendar [ In reply to ]
(I take a 'd' as a present for my subject line, thank you)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Coming up: A Knowlege Equity Calendar [ In reply to ]
And for those who didn't see it on Social Media:

The first story is about Bojan, who uses Wikimedia as a tool to promote
LGBT rights in the homophobic, conservative context of Serbia.

On Meta: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Equity_Calendar/1
<https://space.wmflabs.org/2019/12/01/knowledge-equity-calendar-bojan-from-serbia/>
On Wikimedia Space:
https://space.wmflabs.org/2019/12/01/knowledge-equity-calendar-bojan-from-serbia/

Cheers
Cornelius

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 18:25, Cornelius Kibelka <