Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Update regarding Wikipedia video tutorial project ("NavWiki")
Hello colleagues,

I have resumed work on my video tutorial project for Wikipedia and the
sister sites. I am hoping that eventually there will be video tutorials
and/or interactive tutorials in multiple languages, but for now I am
focusing on producing a small number of videos for English Wikipedia to
test the process and to get feedback from the community. These videos will
be designed for "organic" new users who become active on Wikipedia without
first being involved in a formal program that provides guidance for new
contributors, but I think that the videos may also be useful for formal
Wikimedia program organizers to share with their participants.

A project space is live on Outreach Wiki:
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/NavWiki. I invite you to look at the
organization of the space and let me know if you have any feedback.
Comments and questions may be left on the project talk page
<https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:NavWiki>.

I am hoping to publish two videos for English Wikipedia by the end of 2019,
and to collect feedback on them until at least January 2020 before deciding
on significant next steps. If the feedback is positive then then I hope to
produce more videos in the future and/or to adapt the videos for additional
languages.

If you would like to sign up for the project newsletter, you can do that at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_message_delivery/Targets/Tutorials_Newsletter.

Regards,
Pine
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update regarding Wikipedia video tutorial project ("NavWiki") [ In reply to ]
Are you going to use VideoWiki to create them? Will make them easier
to collaboratively edit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Videowiki

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 4:25 AM Pine W <wiki.pine@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello colleagues,
>
> I have resumed work on my video tutorial project for Wikipedia and the
> sister sites. I am hoping that eventually there will be video tutorials
> and/or interactive tutorials in multiple languages, but for now I am
> focusing on producing a small number of videos for English Wikipedia to
> test the process and to get feedback from the community. These videos will
> be designed for "organic" new users who become active on Wikipedia without
> first being involved in a formal program that provides guidance for new
> contributors, but I think that the videos may also be useful for formal
> Wikimedia program organizers to share with their participants.
>
> A project space is live on Outreach Wiki:
> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/NavWiki. I invite you to look at the
> organization of the space and let me know if you have any feedback.
> Comments and questions may be left on the project talk page
> <https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:NavWiki>.
>
> I am hoping to publish two videos for English Wikipedia by the end of 2019,
> and to collect feedback on them until at least January 2020 before deciding
> on significant next steps. If the feedback is positive then then I hope to
> produce more videos in the future and/or to adapt the videos for additional
> languages.
>
> If you would like to sign up for the project newsletter, you can do that at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_message_delivery/Targets/Tutorials_Newsletter.
>

> Regards,
> Pine
> ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update regarding Wikipedia video tutorial project ("NavWiki") [ In reply to ]
Hi James,

Thanks for the suggestion. I remember looking at VideoWiki awhile ago and
deciding that it wouldn't be a good fit for what I have in mind, but I'll
take another look, possibly after I'm finished with the pilot videos. I
have a lot on my agenda at the moment, and I'm trying not to add more
complexity in the short term.

Regards,

Pine