Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike
Nice to see that https://wikimediafoundation.org has a banner linking
to the global climate strike today.

Can anyone produce some verifiable metrics that the WMF has taken
significant action to reduce the total number of aircraft flights the
WMF uses?

I am asking as though there are no transparently published figures for
how much the WMF spends on air travel, I recall that the Katherine
Mahler was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, where is was part
of her impressive executive profile to be "on the road" for 200 days
of the year. This probably puts Katherine in the very top numbers for
CEOs with damaging carbon footprints resulting from travelling so
often by flying.[1] If the WMF wants to be seen as an ethical company
when it comes to reducing their organizational impact on climate
change, perhaps this could start with publishing travel figures for
the CEO and the rest of the management team, so that everyone can see
whether there is year on year improvement, or none.

Thanks again for the banner, it does help increase the sense of urgency.

Links:
1. https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-35-year-old-executive-director-of-wikimedia-travels-1529588701

Fae
--
faewik@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
I'm more interested in the numbers for the WMF as a whole. One CEO does not
make an emissions problem, and in a global-reaching organization I'd hope
that the CEO would be flying around a bit. Focusing on the ten or so
executives at the Foundation seems like a sensational approach rather than
a useful one.

Adrian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Except, that's probably not statistically true.

If the management team is responsible for 50% of air travel, then the
figures from the environmental impact survey indicate that amounts to
15% of the entire contribution to CO2 emissions for the WMF. However
you reframe or spin the WSJ article, the CEO spending 200 days on the
road last year, rather than, say, cutting that number in half by using
the telephone or other virtual conferencing technology, must be a
significant factor in those numbers.

The contribution actually is higher than that, as the impact made from
the published impact from WMF use of hotels, probably pushes that 15%
figure to over 20%.

It's simple maths, not rocket science. Of course if real firm figures
about air travel by the management team were published by the WMF,
rather than estimates, we could start calculating the impact of
specific year on year improvement, rather than relying on high level
statements about the aims for the current year and end of year "good
news" selective summaries of how well everyone has done. Facts and
measurable commitments would be super useful, rather than
sensationalism, as you agree.

Thanks
Fae

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 at 14:28, Adrian Raddatz <ajraddatz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm more interested in the numbers for the WMF as a whole. One CEO does not
> make an emissions problem, and in a global-reaching organization I'd hope
> that the CEO would be flying around a bit. Focusing on the ten or so
> executives at the Foundation seems like a sensational approach rather than
> a useful one.
>
> Adrian
>

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 9:24 AM Fæ <faewik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Nice to see that https://wikimediafoundation.org has a banner linking
> > to the global climate strike today.
> >
> > Can anyone produce some verifiable metrics that the WMF has taken
> > significant action to reduce the total number of aircraft flights the
> > WMF uses?
> >
> > I am asking as though there are no transparently published figures for
> > how much the WMF spends on air travel, I recall that the Katherine
> > Mahler was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, where is was part
> > of her impressive executive profile to be "on the road" for 200 days
> > of the year. This probably puts Katherine in the very top numbers for
> > CEOs with damaging carbon footprints resulting from travelling so
> > often by flying.[1] If the WMF wants to be seen as an ethical company
> > when it comes to reducing their organizational impact on climate
> > change, perhaps this could start with publishing travel figures for
> > the CEO and the rest of the management team, so that everyone can see
> > whether there is year on year improvement, or none.
> >
> > Thanks again for the banner, it does help increase the sense of urgency.
> >
> > Links:
> > 1.
> > https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-35-year-old-executive-director-of-wikimedia-travels-1529588701
> >
> > Fae
> > --
> > faewik@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

--
faewik@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Did you see the sustainability report that was published yesterday [1]
[2]? Page 30 of the PDF has some numbers on business travel by air –
some 5.6 million km in total, by the looks of it. Page 32 also shows
that the carbon footprint of air travel is about half that of the
electricity used by the Foundation’s data centers.

Cheers,
Lucas

[1]:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/09/19/how-the-wikimedia-foundation-is-making-efforts-to-go-green
[2]:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Foundation_Sustainability_Assessment_and_Carbon_Footprint.pdf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Those publications are where my numbers came from. There is no useful
transparency to explain how many actual flights are taken, why or by whom.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Because # of flights is not a useful metric for assessing environmental
impact.

Seddon

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Sure, but it seems more realistic than calculating the CO2
contributions from the management team compared to all the other
employees.

At the end of the day, how many flights the executive team take as
part of their jobs, and working out whether they are flying less or
more in 2019 compared to 2018, is an very simple and useful fact to be
open and transparent about. Doing so gives everyone a great incentive
to do better.

Considering the WMF is getting ethical gold stars by putting a Climate
Change banner over the entirety of its website landing page, it is
reasonable to expect that the organization starts by changing itself
and turn the non-committal statements in the WMF presentation from "we
will consider" and "we will seek" in to a meaningful and measurable
"we will act".

Thanks,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
If we are discussing such things, why do not we are discussing whether WMF
employees are driving to the work or taking public transportation? Or
chapter employees? Or volunteers? Or whether volunteers switch off the
light when they leave a room (I actually do)?

I really do not think this is a reasonable avenue to proceed.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
I have a few comments.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I wouldn't have put the
wikimediafoundation.org domain "on strike", just as I wouldn't have put a
government agency's website "on strike". I think that some discussion of
climate change would be fine, but I think that WMF's action here is
somewhat strange.

I think that asking about the climate impact of staff travel is fine.
However, I would also include questions about travel for Wikimedia events
more broadly. I believe that the WMF Board has indicated support for trying
to reduce the Wikiverse's contributions to climate change. As has been
mentioned in this thread, WMF released a report yesterday
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2019-September/093519.html>
on the subject of sustainability. While I have not read it, I think that
measuring and attempting to reduce reduce negative environmental impacts
from Wikimedia activities is good, including negative environmental impacts
from travel. However, I also think that there are some benefits to morale
and communications from in person meetings, so I would be reluctant to
eliminate travel and conferences entirely.

I think that it's fine to ask whether WMF senior management is practicing
what they preach. However, Fae, I feel that your tone in this thread is
excessively harsh on this point. I think that you could ask very similar
questions with a tone that is calmer.

On the subject of environmental sustainability, my main concern at this
time is the banner on the WMF website which I feel is somewhat weird and is
inconsistent with WMF's goal of being "essential infrastructure". Do we
want "essential infrastructure" to go on strike, particularly when that
infrastructure is supposed to be for an organization that provides public
service and supports the community in publishing reliable scientific
information? I think not. However, I think that the banner is regrettably
consistent with the series of surprising decisions from WMF in the past few
months. That is, to me, the most concerning element in all of this. If WMF
wants to be a public service infrastructure provider then I think that it
should act like one.

Pine
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
I think we could drastically lower our carbon footprint by not using
community digital resources to beat the same dead horse for a billionth
time.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 4:00 PM Robert Fernandez <wikigamaliel@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think we could drastically lower our carbon footprint by not using
> community digital resources to beat the same dead horse for a billionth
> time.

I laughed out loud.

AND. I love that the WMF joined the strike, and have some practical
thoughts.

a) Reach out to Stripe
<https://stripe.com/gb/blog/negative-emissions-commitment>, which has a
through self-assessment and a negative-emissions program, and the Long Now,
to coordinate efforts.
b) Evaluate the community-wide carbon footprint, which is dominated by
b.1) How we run conferences [*mostly in person*]
b.2) How we choose partners, communicate climate imformation, and
prioritize related policies [*fairly ad-hoc*]
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
I am profoundly disappointed that WMF employees don't value the mission.
Instead they seem to simply follow fashion and force users and volunteers
to follow their fashionable methods of advocacy. They use their monopoly
power to deny free access to the world's knowledge that many thousands of
volunteers have diligently assembled. This time it is to show solidarity
with environmental advocates. What will it be next time?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Have thousands of volunteers really been involved assembling
https://wikimediafoundation.org?

/Jan Ainali

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
As far as I can tell, only the Foundation wiki is showing the strike
message. That particular one is pretty much theirs to do as they like with.

If they started doing that to any other wikis without their agreement,
well, then we'd have a problem. But so long as it's only the WMF wiki
itself, I don't see the issue.

Todd

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Surely it doesn't really matter who within the organisation is racking
up the CO2? More important is the fact that the Foundation
acknowleges itself responsible for about 2,000 tonnes of CO2 emission.
At an offset price around $100/tonne, presumably we may expect that as
an interim measure, WMF will purchase $200K worth of offsets -- an
eminently affordable sum on its current budget.

Henry

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
I couldn't get onto WP or en.wikt shortly after I had heard about the MW
participation in the strike. I jumped to an apparently wrong conclusion.
Sorry.

I am glad that the availability of free knowledge for all was not disrupted.

Dennis C. During
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Does anyone have a screenshot of the page with this banner? Or a
link to an online archive? Or at least the banner itself?

sasha.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
A screenshot has been uploaded to
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WMF_global_climate_strike_banner_2019.png.

Unfortunately, though web.archive.org has snapshots of the website,
these do not appear to render the banner as it displayed in a browser
on the day.

Fae
--
faewik@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Does anyone know whether the screen allowed a user to click through?

Dennis C. During
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
When I visited it, yes, the message could be dismissed.

Todd

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Anyways this is perceived by the community.

In Wikimedia CH we cannot give scholarships for Wikimania because people
would not do long trips.

IMHO the problem is these big events.

For this reason we prefer to give more scholarships for regional wikicon
than to Wikimania.

This is the reason why you dont see more Swiss people at Wikimania.

Kind regards

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
I am a Swiss member, and I did go to Wikimania (and did a small
presentation).

I think that you need to clarify you statement:
"In Wikimedia CH we cannot give scholarships for Wikimania because people
would not do long trips."

When looking up what was sais for Wikimania 2019 I read:
"Wikimedia CH offers scholarships for active Wikimedians. They cover
transportation, hotel (max 3 nights) from the 16th to the 18th, and
registration fees. To check your eligibility, you can consult conditions of
eligibility on this page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH/Policies/Scholarships>."

Best regards
Gabe

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
We used to regularly raise the issue of a lack of active
videoconferencing at Wikimania. Though we (Wikimedians) are highly
technically literate, we still do not host virtual attendees, such as
3D virtual conferencing and claim it a win if we release video streams
of some of the presentations.

Both to reduce our community's carbon footprint, and to encourage
access for those that find air travel challenging or impossible, it
would be great to see the Wikimedia Foundation being active in
trialing and funding virtual environments for our events. 25 years ago
I worked for a global bank and had regular virtual meetings in a video
room where you physically sat at a conference table where the other
half telemagically was in other headquarters in other cities with
shared (physical) whiteboards to help workshopping. These days it's
relatively easy to videoconference, but we should do more to
experiment with whether booking video suites in different cities might
also be a good way of encouraging Wikimedians to default to local
travel and still be active in our multi-national or global events and
workshops. At the end of the day, paying a few hundred dollars for
several conference suites or higher end conference kit hire hosted by
local Wikimedia Chapters, is a fraction the cost of paying for a far
smaller number of lucky applicants to get their flights and
accommodation paid for.

This type of high quality conferencing initiative would perfectly fit
the non-specific high level aims mentioned in the WMF sustainability
documents. It's weird to me that this is still a debate, and folks are
defending continued air travel at the current consumption levels,
rather than even trialling all the virtual alternatives.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Is it, perhaps, that the value a lot of people derive from these events is
not just the conference itself, but the ability to meet fellow Wikimedians
face-to-face and make meaningful contacts and even friendships that may
never otherwise have come about? I'm all about virtual, but there is value
in physical events, and I would say that we should make time and space for
both.

PhD in Digital Media
Project Coordinator Wikimedia Community Ireland <http://wikimedia.ie>
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation joins the global climate strike [ In reply to ]
Yes