Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Qu’est-ce qui vous rend heureux cette semaine? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 8 September 2019)
*The English Wikipedia Teahouse*

* The English Wikipedia Teahouse
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse> recently surpassed 1000
pages of archives. The Teahouse seems to be very successful.

*Pictures of the day from various wikis, with descriptions in English*

* French Wikipedia: "A Menger sponge with ray tracing. In the sponge-center
is a light source. The image illustrates the functionality of ray tracing
by computers and the resulting shadow position and orientation."
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Mengerschwamm_without_main_light_light_strength_0,65_8K.png>
* English Wikipedia: "Pied kingfisher (*Ceryle rudis leucomelanurus*)
female, Chambal River, UP, India"
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pied_kingfisher_(Ceryle_rudis_leucomelanurus)_female.jpg>
* Commons: architecture photo of an escalator in the Umeda Sky Building.
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Umeda_Sky_Building,_Osaka,_November_2016_-02.jpg>
* English Wikipedia: "Wells Cathedral's nave, viewed from the entrance, in
Somerset, England"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wells_Cathedral_Nave_1,_Somerset,_UK_-_Diliff.jpg>
* English Wikipedia: cactus "*Mammillaria spinosissima* var. '*rubrispina*'
('Super Red')", which is endemic to central Mexico
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mammillaria_spinosissima_by_RO.jpg>
* English Wikipedia: social worker, civic activist, and Nobel Prize winner
Jane Addams
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jane_Addams_-_Bain_News_Service.jpg>
* Hindi Wikipedia: "Caravan in the desert, Morocco, Sahara"
<https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%9A%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0:Caravan_in_the_desert.jpg>
* French Wikipedia: "Veraison (the onset of ripening) of Zinfandel grapes
in Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County, California"
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Grapes,_Dry_Creek_Valley-7705.jpg>
* French Wikipedia: self-portrait of Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Self-Portrait_-_Google_Art_Project_(454045).jpg>

*Breaking news coverage of weather incidents*

English Wikipedia seems to have some highly active weather enthusiasts who
cover topics such as *Hurricane Dorian
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Dorian>*, along with many people
who are willing to write about breaking news stories. Although weather
emergencies are bad news, English Wikipedia's timely and detailed coverage
of them is good to see.

* Operation Enduring Encyclopedia *

* Password requirements were strengthened for Wikimedia user accounts to
deter users from having any of the 100,000 most common passwords. See
Pabricator
task T151425 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T151425>.
* Wikimedia Foundation staff responded to a distributed denial of service
attack <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_denial_of_service_attack>
on 6 September 2019. See Phabricator task T232224
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T232224> and this email
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2019-September/093414.html>
.
* Preparations are underway for English Wikipedia Arbitration Committee
elections in December 2019
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2019>.

*English Wikiquote of the Day*

I'll get an inspiration and start painting; then I'll forget everything,
everything except how things used to be and how to paint it so people will
know how we used to live.
—American folk artist Grandma Moses
<https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Grandma_Moses>

*Off wiki*

* Humility <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humility> is a virtue
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue>. I felt irritated by my errors in
the WMHYTW email that I sent last week to on Wikimedia-l [1
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2019-September/093371.html>]
[2
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2019-September/093372.html>],
but I reminded myself that “to err is human” and even “professionals” make
mistakes. This (Youtube link) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKkvbBoas9Y>
is a collection of bloopers from the movie *Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_IV:_The_Voyage_Home>*. If you saw
the movie then you'll probably appreciate the bloopers more, but even if
you haven't seen the movie, you can probably understand some of the humor.
A few explanations about the bloopers may help. Commander Uhura
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhura> was supposed to say that sensors were
receiving whale song; the movie was directed by Leonard Nimoy
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy> who also acted in the movie
as Mr. Spock <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock>; and one of the film's
settings is the fictional Cetacean Institute
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetacean> which in the movie held two humpback
whales <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpback_whales>. My favorite segment
of the blooper reel involves the discussion of "exact change
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/exact_change>", although more relevant to
last week’s WMYHTW is that, as Dr. McCoy
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._McCoy> said, nobody's perfect.

*Closing comments*

To reduce the time that I spend adapting WMYHTW for both Wikimedia-l and *The
Signpost*, and to reduce errors in these emails, this week I first drafted
this issue of WMYHTW on wiki. Adapting the content from wiki format to
email format seems to be somewhat faster than adapting from email format to
wiki format. However, after this week, I will likely be spending much less
time on WMYHTW for the foreseeable future. I have bills that need to be
paid.

Translations of the subject line of this email would be appreciated on Meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine/WMYHTW_translations>. Thanks to
Pols12 <https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Pols12> for the French
translation.

What’s making you happy this week? You are welcome to write in any
language. You are also welcome to start a WMYHTW thread next week.

Regards,

Pine