Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages
Hello everyone,

By now you are likely aware that the Wikimedia sites suffered from a
relatively significant botnet driven DDOS attack on September 6th, taking
them offline in several countries throughout the day. This primarily
affected Wikipedia access in Europe and the Middle East. We posted a short
update of the event on our website.[1]

I would like to thank everyone who stepped up to support the restoration of
our projects, including the fast reporting of community members throughout
the world and our security and engineering teams who worked long hours to
address many complex issues surrounding the attack and our response—the
Site Reliability Engineering team in particular.

The Wikimedia Foundation leadership team is proud to work with such
talented and dedicated staff and supporters.

Yours,
Heather

1.
https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/09/07/malicious-attack-on-wikipedia-what-we-know-and-what-were-doing/

"Today, Wikipedia was hit with a malicious attack that has taken it offline
in several countries for intermittent periods. The attack is ongoing and
our Site Reliability Engineering team is working hard to stop it and
restore access to the site.

As one of the world’s most popular sites, Wikipedia sometimes attracts “bad
faith” actors. Along with the rest of the web, we operate in an
increasingly sophisticated and complex environment where threats are
continuously evolving. Because of this, the Wikimedia communities and
Wikimedia Foundation have created dedicated systems and staff to regularly
monitor and address risks. If a problem occurs, we learn, we improve, and
we prepare to be better for next time.

We condemn these sorts of attacks. They’re not just about taking Wikipedia
offline. Takedown attacks threaten everyone’s fundamental rights to freely
access and share information. We in the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
are committed to protecting these rights for everyone.

Right now, we’re continuing to work to restore access wherever you might be
reading Wikipedia in the world. We’ll keep you posted."

--

Heather Walls (she/her)

Chief Creative Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
https://wikimediafoundation.org
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages [ In reply to ]
Well done everyone involved!

On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 00:26, Heather Walls <hwalls@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> By now you are likely aware that the Wikimedia sites suffered from a
> relatively significant botnet driven DDOS attack on September 6th, taking
> them offline in several countries throughout the day. This primarily
> affected Wikipedia access in Europe and the Middle East. We posted a short
> update of the event on our website.[1]
>
> I would like to thank everyone who stepped up to support the restoration of
> our projects, including the fast reporting of community members throughout
> the world and our security and engineering teams who worked long hours to
> address many complex issues surrounding the attack and our response—the
> Site Reliability Engineering team in particular.
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation leadership team is proud to work with such
> talented and dedicated staff and supporters.
>
> Yours,
> Heather
>

> 1.
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/09/07/malicious-attack-on-wikipedia-what-we-know-and-what-were-doing/
>
> "Today, Wikipedia was hit with a malicious attack that has taken it offline
> in several countries for intermittent periods. The attack is ongoing and
> our Site Reliability Engineering team is working hard to stop it and
> restore access to the site.
>
> As one of the world’s most popular sites, Wikipedia sometimes attracts “bad
> faith” actors. Along with the rest of the web, we operate in an
> increasingly sophisticated and complex environment where threats are
> continuously evolving. Because of this, the Wikimedia communities and
> Wikimedia Foundation have created dedicated systems and staff to regularly
> monitor and address risks. If a problem occurs, we learn, we improve, and
> we prepare to be better for next time.
>
> We condemn these sorts of attacks. They’re not just about taking Wikipedia
> offline. Takedown attacks threaten everyone’s fundamental rights to freely
> access and share information. We in the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
> are committed to protecting these rights for everyone.
>
> Right now, we’re continuing to work to restore access wherever you might be
> reading Wikipedia in the world. We’ll keep you posted."
>

> --
>
> Heather Walls (she/her)
>
> Chief Creative Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> https://wikimediafoundation.org

RhinosF1
Miraheze Volunteer
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages [ In reply to ]
Hello again,

As a follow-up to my last note on the September 6th DDoS attack, we wanted
to provide you with an update. There have been no further attacks in the
last week and our sites are now running normally. Our SRE team is
continuing to monitor the situation.

Based on what we learned in this attack, our security and engineering teams
are researching and putting together plans for more protection of our
infrastructure to address any potential attacks in the future.

We appreciate everyone’s support, particularly the folks on the SRE team,
in helping to restore access.

Yours,
Heather

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages [ In reply to ]
Any idea of when an incident report may come out?

RhinosF1
Wikimedia User & Incident Reporter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages [ In reply to ]
I am also curious about this.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone,

We hope to have something for you in the next few weeks.

Regards,
Heather

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages [ In reply to ]
Hi Benjamin and RhinosF1,

in the meantime, you could also check out the coverage in the September
edition of the Signpost:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2019-09-30/In_the_media

(I'm sure however that the Foundation's incident report
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation> will be more
detailed and informative, in particular regarding any significant changes
made to the traffic setup of Wikimedia sites and support obtained from
third-party companies.)

Regards, HaeB

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages [ In reply to ]
Is this a good juncture at which to request that the Foundation ask
for a version of Encrypted-SNI from the CDNs which tunnels DNS?

https://twitter.com/jsalsman/status/1142172682751864832

https://twitter.com/jsalsman/status/1142940652851695616

https://twitter.com/jsalsman/status/1053786384463355905

I remember back in 2009 I had specified CDN upgrades, but the privacy
implications were considered prohibitive. In retrospect, establishing
an early relationship with the CDNs would have probably not been
particularly beneficial at the time, but they do have DDoS avoidance
worked out for the most part. There is no reason why we shouldn't ask
for an effective VPN by default from them.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update on Wikimedia site and system outages [ In reply to ]
Hello,

A gentle reminder that four months have passed since the last update
to this thread from WMF regarding the September DDoS incident. When
will an incident report be published, or has a decision been made not
to publish a report?

Thanks,
Pine