Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikitech-l] Wikicommons
Brion-
>> Please let us start the Wikicommons and add functionality when we think
>> of some, when we program some.

> Erik M÷ller proposed specific things for WikiCommons. When he gets some
> code written, I'm sure we'll be happy to put it online.

It'll still be a week or two until I can hack on MediaWiki again. However,
several people would like to use a wiki purely for putting up and
cataloging some of the open content images they have taken/created which
do not yet have a home on Wikimedia.

I still believe that starting without any way to actually use these images
elsewhere, and with a structure that will likely change significantly
later, is not a very good idea, but I'll state here again for the public
record that, given that I haven't been able to start work on the Commons
code in the timeframe I originally suggested, I have no formal objections
to a basic wiki being set up for those interested in sharing and
cataloging images, developing a category structure, basic policies etc.
Andre in particular feels very strongly about this and other than my own
original objection, nobody seems to have voiced any opposition.

The proposal being discussed here, although running under the name
Wikimedia Commons, is not identical to what is on meta. It is merely a
wiki for cataloging multimedia. Whatever decision you arrive at, I have
nothing to do with it and there's no need to consult me on anything.

Regards,

Erik
RE: Re: [Wikitech-l] Wikicommons [ In reply to ]
I think it would be really cool when this gets up, having a common store of
pictures, sound, and video. Saving space, and using common pictures in
articles, say of the DNC Convention or RNC Convention, but having the
articles appear in different wikis, with the images simply linked to from
the separate articles. Can't wait.

James

Re: Re: [Wikitech-l] Wikicommons [ In reply to ]
On 08/18/04 20:31, Erik Moeller wrote:

> The proposal being discussed here, although running under the name
> Wikimedia Commons, is not identical to what is on meta. It is merely a
> wiki for cataloging multimedia. Whatever decision you arrive at, I have
> nothing to do with it and there's no need to consult me on anything.

OK ... the question then is, if we start now throwing bucketloads of
images and oggs into a MediaWiki instance, how easy it will be to put
it somewhere more sensible later.

- d.