Mailing List Archive

Memorial Wiki
Can someone set up another db as a memorial wiki for non-9/11 memorials?

I just took a refreshing dip in the VfD drainage pit, and was reminded
that we still have no
place for the scads of well-intentioned memorial pages and obits of
people who have been
deemed too unencyclopaedic for WP, making exception for th victims of 9/11.

There have been many different discussions about setting up a
Wikimorial or some alternately
named memorial wiki -- I think this would be an excellent idea. It
hurts noone, can be clearly
identified by skin and disclaimers as distinct from WP, and will
provide a place for people who
are interested in a genealogy wiki (cf. [[m:Wikifamily]]) to start
putting information.

I regularly see VfD comments of the form "transwiki to memorial and
delete"; where do those
end up at present? There are a number of non-9/11 memorial transwikis
listed at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Votes_for_deletion/Old , but
not nearly as many as
have passed through VfD in recent months.

+sj+
Re: Memorial Wiki [ In reply to ]
--- Sj <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone set up another db as a memorial wiki for non-9/11 memorials?

No - just move the sep11 wiki to wikipeple.org and expand that project's focus.
The sep11wiki on its own has been an embarrassing failure of Wikimedia due to
its single-event focus. We should either abandon the project entirely or expand
its focus.

-- mav

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
Re: Memorial Wiki [ In reply to ]
Daniel Mayer wrote:
> --- Sj <2.718281828@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Can someone set up another db as a memorial wiki for non-9/11 memorials?
>
> No - just move the sep11 wiki to wikipeple.org and expand that project's focus.
> The sep11wiki on its own has been an embarrassing failure of Wikimedia due to
> its single-event focus. We should either abandon the project entirely or expand
> its focus.

I agree. Many people asked for wikipeople, wikimorial etc. Has someone
objections? Or can this be done finally?

greetings,
elian
Re: Memorial Wiki [ In reply to ]
Is this supposed to be at wikipeople.org (which Jimbo registered) or
wikimorial.org (which mav registered)? Are Wikimorial and
GlobalFamilyTree supposed to separate projects, or part of the same
domain? The discussions on Meta do not seem conclusive on this.

*http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimorial
*http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/GlobalFamilyTree

Also, can whoever has the passwords for these domains please pass them
on to Tim Starling since nothing can be moved to them without the DNS
settings be changed.

Angela.
Re: Memorial Wiki [ In reply to ]
--- Angela_ <beesley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this supposed to be at wikipeople.org (which Jimbo registered) or
> wikimorial.org (which mav registered)? Are Wikimorial and
> GlobalFamilyTree supposed to separate projects, or part of the same
> domain? The discussions on Meta do not seem conclusive on this.
>
> *http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimorial
> *http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/GlobalFamilyTree

See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipeople

The different proposals need to be merged - I have not had time to do that yet.
Some people had a strong dislike for the name "Wikimorial" so I'm going to let
that domain name expire. Everybody I'm aware of who commented on the issue
liked or at least could live with the 'Wikipeople' name.

> Also, can whoever has the passwords for these domains please pass them
> on to Tim Starling since nothing can be moved to them without the DNS
> settings be changed.

You'll have to ask Jimbo.

-- mav