Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames
Geonames [1] is a database which holds around 9 M entries of
geographical related items from all over the world.

Lsjbot is now generating articles from a subset of it, after several
months of extensive research on its quality, Wikidata relations and
notability issues. While the quality in some regions is substandard (and
these will not be generated) it was seen as very good in most areas. In
the discussion I was intrigued to learn that identical Arabic names
should be transcribed differently depending on its geographic location.
And I was fascinated of the question of notability of wells in the
Bahrain desert (which in the end was excluded, mostly because we knew
too little of that reality)

In this run Lsjbot has extended its functionality even further then when
it generated articles for species. It looks for relevant geographical
items close to the actual one: a lake close by, a mountain and where is
the nearest major town etc.

Macedonia can be taken as one example. Lsjbot generated over 10000
articles (and 5000 disambiguous pages) making it a magnitude more than
what exist in enwp. Also for a well defined type like villages, almost
50% as many has been generated than existing in enwp. One example [2]
where you can see what has been generated (and note the reuse of a
relevant figure existing in frwp). Please compare the corresponding
articles on other languages in this case, many having less information
than the bot generated one.

The generation is still in early stage [.3) but has already got the
article count for svwp to pass 2 M today. But it will take many months
more before completed and perhaps more M marks will be passed before it
is through. If you want to give feedback you are welcome to enter it at [4]

Anders
(with all credits for the Lsjbot to be given to Sverker, its owner, I am
just one of the many supporters of him and his bot on svwp)

[1]
http://www.geonames.org/about.html

[2]
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaki_%28ort_i_Makedonien%29

[3]
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Robotskapade_geografiartiklar

[4]
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anv%C3%A4ndardiskussion:Lsjbot/Projekt_alla_platser

Re: [Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames [ In reply to ]
Proper data-based stubs are being worked on:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/1416/
Lsjbot, you have no chance to survive make your time.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
PLEASE reconsider. A Wikidata based solution is not superior because it
started from Wikidata.

PLEASE consider collaboration. It will be so much more powerful when LSJBOT
and people at Wikidata collaborate. It will get things right the first
time. It does not have to be perfect from the start as long as it gets
better over time. As long as we always work on improving the data.

PLEASE consider text generation based on Wikidata. They are the scripts
LSJBOT uses, they can help us improve the text when more or better
information becomes available.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames [ In reply to ]
Congratulations for the stub creation, they are good (and better that those
handmade stubs in other languages).

About the Wikidata placeholder project, it sounds very interesting.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames [ In reply to ]
At svwp we work closely with Wikidata and see it as the natural base for
our article substance. And we follow closely Phabricator and are eager
to implement it as soon as it will be feasible to implement. And Lsjbot
is in no way counteractive to these. It will be easy to exchange Lsjbot
article with Phabricator generated ones when time is right.

But I believe you miss the point with what Lsjbot is doing now. The
extensive research etc done on data in Geonames is one of the crucial
efforts. And in a way all this generation project is a research on the
viability to use this data for full in all language versions. If it
still is seen as viable we could extend our article coverage for
geographical entities with a factor 10 in all versions. And this
research is a must even independently of which technique is used to
generate the articles.

The other crucial effort is the extended intelligence built into the
generation of facts in the articles. To find out close by physical
object by clever algorithms is a intellectual effort of highest dignity.
First when bot generating was introduced, it was more or less a mapping
of items from input to items in output (in articles). We now see how
more info is created by info only implicit existing in input and where
it is combined with external (map) data

I can not enough press on how much I am impressed by Sverkers
outstanding intellectual effort and his creativity in implementing and
running software that is of great help reaching our common vision "free
knowledge for all".

Anders

Re: [Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Wouldn't have it been a better use of Sverker's brainpower to implement
a long-term solution that doesn't require saving articles to the wiki?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
As always I have been a big fan of the wonderful work that has been done.
My reaction was very much for what I perceived as a negative reaction from
Ricordisamoa. Telling you to stop and become part of Wikidata is a bit off.
Asking for collaboration and work towards a common goal, a goal that you
very much want to share as I perceive it in your reply is most wonderful
and most welcome.

When your data is at a quality level where you create stubs, it is very
much at the level where we should have it in Wikidata. Obviously it is for
the Swedish community to have the stubs or experiment with cached articles
based on Wikidata data. Obviously, we are at a point where we can create
the stubs and where caching concepts is technically feasible but not
something we have done so far.

What does it take to have such an experiment?
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames [ In reply to ]
Hoi,

"Article Placeholders are automatically generated content pages in
Wikipedia or other mediawiki projects displaying data from Wikidata." Seriously? RobotWiki? Do we really want this? Quality, not quantity.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] LsJbot and geonames [ In reply to ]

> Hoi,
>
> "Article Placeholders are automatically generated content pages in
> Wikipedia or other mediawiki projects displaying data from Wikidata."
> Seriously? RobotWiki? Do we really want this? Quality, not quantity.

Yeah. I REALLY want this.