nature of the logging tables. However if someone wanted to make a
monthly summary on-wiki somewhere, part of an active "be nice"
campaign, I would be happy to set up an automated monthly report (if
someone discovers this is already reported somewhere, that's cool we
can use that).

Fae
--
faewik@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Who was most thanked?

On 5 February 2015 at 15:47, Fæ <faewik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After reading an interesting related discussion on GenderGap, I have
> queried the top 10 users of the thanks feature last month, on both the
> English Wikipedia and Commons. Snapshot image attached and report link
> below.
>
> Perhaps someone might think of a suitable barnstar and award these
> folks for "being nice"? :-)
>
> Link:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:F%C3%A6/sandbox&oldid=149050523
>
> P.S. This is a long query to run, taking 20 to 30 minutes due to the
> nature of the logging tables. However if someone wanted to make a
> monthly summary on-wiki somewhere, part of an active "be nice"
> campaign, I would be happy to set up an automated monthly report (if
> someone discovers this is already reported somewhere, that's cool we
> can use that).
>
> Fae
> --
> faewik@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

Landline (UK) 01780 757 250
Mobile (UK) 0798 1995 792
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Glad to see me there. :)

Regards,
Jee

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Richard Farmbrough <richard@farmbrough.co.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
On 5 February 2015 at 10:47, Fæ <faewik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After reading an interesting related discussion on GenderGap, I have
> queried the top 10 users of the thanks feature last month, on both the
> English Wikipedia and Commons. Snapshot image attached and report link
> below.
>
> Perhaps someone might think of a suitable barnstar and award these
> folks for "being nice"? :-)
>
> Link:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:F%C3%A6/sandbox&oldid=149050523
>
> P.S. This is a long query to run, taking 20 to 30 minutes due to the
> nature of the logging tables. However if someone wanted to make a
> monthly summary on-wiki somewhere, part of an active "be nice"
> campaign, I would be happy to set up an automated monthly report (if
> someone discovers this is already reported somewhere, that's cool we
> can use that).
>
> Fae

This is interesting stuff, Fae - thanks for sharing, and for doing all the
legwork to produce the report. It's a much more interesting metric than a
lot of others that get collected! Perhaps colleagues on other projects
might want to borrow the script and see the results there.

I'll admit to sharing Rich's curiosity about who was most thanked.

Risker/Anne
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
A good idea! I think "thanks divided by edit count" would be nice to see,
too - that way power users and regular users can be compared!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Luckily we can find out who was thanked too, it takes the same time to
run. Data below and link for updated report (which is on wikitech due
to WMF server outage for main projects at the time of writing).

* https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:F%C3%A6/sandbox&oldid=143073

Extending to other wikis is not a problem, we just use the relevant
wiki-name of the tables, or call on it when we go into MySQL (and then
the script does not need to be edited). It should be possible to do a
nice report that does this for all active wikis; once a month is
enough. I have published the SQL below for those technically minded.
If someone wants to pick this up, that's cool. If left to me it may
take a couple of months to polish off due to my backlog. My other
maintained reports are mostly listed at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:F%C3%A6/reports

Top 10 *most thanked* users in Jan 2015:

English Wikipedia:

351, Ryulong
212, Niceguyedc
151, Ssven2
119, Materialscientist
111, HJ Mitchell
100, Ser Amantio di Nicolao
89, GoingBatty
89, Drmies
87, John of Reading
79, Rocketrod1960

Wikimedia Commons:

47, Steinsplitter
44, INeverCry
44, Thibaut120094
44, 1989
37, Yann
32, Medium69
27, Be..anyone
26, Brackenheim
22, ArionEstar
21, Marcus_Cyron

SQL:
// Top 10 thanks givers in a month
SELECT log_user_text, count(log_action)
FROM logging_userindex
WHERE log_action="thank"
AND LEFT(log_timestamp,6)="201501"
GROUP BY log_user_text
ORDER BY count(log_action) DESC
LIMIT 10;

// Top 10 thanked people in a month
SELECT log_title, count(log_action)
FROM logging_userindex
WHERE log_action="thank"
AND LEFT(log_timestamp,6)="201501"
GROUP BY log_title
ORDER BY count(log_action) DESC
LIMIT 10;

P.S. I would be cautious about interpretation. I am tempted to
automate some thanking, just for my name to float in the top 10 and
surprise everyone. ;-)

On 5 February 2015 at 16:18, Richard Farmbrough

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Fæ, 05/02/2015 18:47:
> Top 10*most thanked* users in Jan 2015:
>
> English Wikipedia:

Looks like edit wars pay back in this rank.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Faebot/thanks

I have now set up a monthly report of the top 10 "thankers" /
"thankees" with an index to the different project reports on the above
link. These have been generated retrospectively for 2014 and I will
shortly set this up on WMF labs to run at the beginning of each month
to add last month's results.*

Rather than running this automatically for several hundred projects, I
am happy to add projects on request (so long as the thanks extension
is being regularly used by more than 10 people!). Just drop a note on
my meta talk page to request the addition. I have haphazardly picked 6
of the busiest projects to get started on, mainly as a multi-language
test, not because I favour one language Wikipedia over another. :-)

Time for someone to create a "thank you barnstar of super thanks" ?

This is one of many ad-hoc reports run as Faebot, but if it becomes
especially useful or critical to outreach projects I'll consider
moving a stable version to a special bot account or similar.

* - At the time of writing, the tables for 2014 are being generated.
This may take the rest of the day to complete! If your project has
recently been added, the reports might have to wait for the next
monthly run depending on how much free wiki-time I have.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
HI,

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Faebot/thanks
>
> I have now set up a monthly report of the top 10 "thankers" /
> "thankees" with an index to the different project reports on the above
> link. These have been generated retrospectively for 2014 and I will
> shortly set this up on WMF labs to run at the beginning of each month
> to add last month's results.*

Thank you for this very interesting tool :-)

Regards.

--
Lionel Allorge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Fæ, those reports are very interesting from my perspective.
However, even though the number of thanks received may be more reliable
than the usual edit count, none of them could ever measure the
invaluable impact of our contributors :-)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Hi, an outcome of the old milgram experiments suggests that not always nice
people do oppress others less:

http://m.mic.com/articles/92479/psychologists-have-uncovered-a-troubling-feature-of-people-who-seem-nice-all-the-time

Rupert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Excellent!!

Great initiative, congratulations!

Thank you for answering my request for inclusion of pt.wikipedia!

Best regards

Rodrigo Padula

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Re:https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Faebot/thanks

I am glad the tables are useful, hopefully stimulating more positive
use of the thanks notifier by contributors.

The reports are updating *slowly*, currently at April 2014... This is
in part because of the WMFlabs outage yesterday, though in general any
report of the "logging" table is going to be slow (it is the largest
table on the wiki database). The first run-through will take several
days as it is going back through all of 2014. Once it is only
reporting on the previous month, I suspect it will finish monthly
updates within the first first day.

OPT-OUT
There was an interesting debate about the report for the German
Wikipedia,[1] with some users feeling it was intrusive or may
introduce "competitive" use of thanks that could be negative. I
suspect that many users of the thanks notifier may have been under the
impression that the logs were not visible or public. I did not expect
this to be contentious, so I am pleased that the extra cautious
approach of only adding projects on request, means that I had time to
add a global opt-out as a courtesy for individual users that contact
me. I have decided to not report on the German Wikipedia thanks log
unless there is a consensus from that community that they want to have
it. :-)

Links:
1. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Diskussion:Kurier#Danke-Bot_listet_Top_Ten

Cheers,
Fae

On 25 February 2015 at 13:30, Rodrigo Padula <rodrigopadula@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent!!
>
> Great initiative, congratulations!
>
> Thank you for answering my request for inclusion of pt.wikipedia!
>
> Best regards
>
> Rodrigo Padula

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Faebot/thanks
>>
>> I have now set up a monthly report of the top 10 "thankers" /
>> "thankees" with an index to the different project reports on the above
>> link. These have been generated retrospectively for 2014 and I will
>> shortly set this up on WMF labs to run at the beginning of each month
>> to add last month's results.*
>>
>> Rather than running this automatically for several hundred projects, I
>> am happy to add projects on request (so long as the thanks extension
>> is being regularly used by more than 10 people!). Just drop a note on
>> my meta talk page to request the addition. I have haphazardly picked 6
>> of the busiest projects to get started on, mainly as a multi-language
>> test, not because I favour one language Wikipedia over another. :-)
>>
>> Time for someone to create a "thank you barnstar of super thanks" ?
>>
>> This is one of many ad-hoc reports run as Faebot, but if it becomes
>> especially useful or critical to outreach projects I'll consider
>> moving a stable version to a special bot account or similar.
>>
>> * - At the time of writing, the tables for 2014 are being generated.
>> This may take the rest of the day to complete! If your project has
>> recently been added, the reports might have to wait for the next
>> monthly run depending on how much free wiki-time I have.
>>
>> Fae

faewik@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Fæ wrote:
>Re: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Faebot/thanks
>
>I am glad the tables are useful, hopefully stimulating more positive
>use of the thanks notifier by contributors.
>
>The reports are updating *slowly*, currently at April 2014... This is
>in part because of the WMFlabs outage yesterday, though in general any
>report of the "logging" table is going to be slow (it is the largest
>table on the wiki database). The first run-through will take several
>days as it is going back through all of 2014. Once it is only
>reporting on the previous month, I suspect it will finish monthly
>updates within the first first day.

Hi.

Hmm, I'm not sure how you're measuring largest, but I imagine on most
wikis there are more rows in the revision table than there are in the
logging table. For example, on the English Wikipedia, there are
approximately 598,859,006 rows in the revision table and 62,731,285 rows
in the logging table. I suspect on most wikis, revision, text, and maybe
archive would typically be larger than logging, except in weird cases
such as loginwiki[_p]. And then of course there are the *links tables. But
it depends on whether you're comparing size on disk or number of rows.

You probably want to use logging_userindex instead of logging. The former
is typically significantly faster due to the way we use table views.

I have a bit of experience with database reports. Off-hand I'd say it
should be possible to query all of this information in under an hour. With
the index on logging[_userindex].log_action, even a large table such as
logging shouldn't be too awful to query for this information. If you have
queries that are taking a very long time, we should probably investigate.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Now the run has been running a bit longer, it can be seen[1] that the
real sink is the logging table from wikidata. Other projects are
pretty quick from a few minutes to Commons taking half an hour.
Wikidata takes 7 hours for each query. It's a big log!

I am testing out separating wikidata from the other queries, so this
might get the majority done much more quickly. Either way, all the
reports should be finished within about 3 days. After that the monthly
updates should be done within an afternoon. :-)

Links
1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Faebot

Fae

On 26 February 2015 at 06:02, MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Fæ wrote:
>>Re: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Faebot/thanks
>>
>>I am glad the tables are useful, hopefully stimulating more positive
>>use of the thanks notifier by contributors.
>>
>>The reports are updating *slowly*, currently at April 2014... This is
>>in part because of the WMFlabs outage yesterday, though in general any
>>report of the "logging" table is going to be slow (it is the largest
>>table on the wiki database). The first run-through will take several
>>days as it is going back through all of 2014. Once it is only
>>reporting on the previous month, I suspect it will finish monthly
>>updates within the first first day.
>
> Hi.
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure how you're measuring largest, but I imagine on most
> wikis there are more rows in the revision table than there are in the
> logging table. For example, on the English Wikipedia, there are
> approximately 598,859,006 rows in the revision table and 62,731,285 rows
> in the logging table. I suspect on most wikis, revision, text, and maybe
> archive would typically be larger than logging, except in weird cases
> such as loginwiki[_p]. And then of course there are the *links tables. But
> it depends on whether you're comparing size on disk or number of rows.

Yes I got it wrong! :-)

> You probably want to use logging_userindex instead of logging. The former
> is typically significantly faster due to the way we use table views.

That's how it works. The key line is
SELECT log_user_text, count(log_action)
FROM {}wiki_p.logging_userindex

Where {} iterates over wiki short names.

> I have a bit of experience with database reports. Off-hand I'd say it
> should be possible to query all of this information in under an hour. With
> the index on logging[_userindex].log_action, even a large table such as
> logging shouldn't be too awful to query for this information. If you have
> queries that are taking a very long time, we should probably investigate.

Maybe, I have experimented a little with ways of writing the query
(such as using log_user rather than log_user_text) but have not found
a magic trick yet. Remember I'm reporting all of 2014 first. After
this first run, the time taken is unlikely to be noticed by anyone, so
volunteer time vs. processing time will mean I'll probably get on with
other projects, rather than spending my wiki-time making this SQL
based report more efficient. Naturally, if someone wants to offer me
some funding, or bribes me by nominating my Commons RFA, I'll look
again. ;-)

Cheers,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
Hello Fae,

Are you generating json somewhere or thiking to create an API for that
information?

I have some ideas that I started to develop last year, I will ping you in
private.

Best regards and thanks by helping us with the important information.

Rodrigo Padula

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Who are the nicest people on our projects ? [ In reply to ]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Faebot/thanks

The 'Thanks report' is up and running again, after being out of action
for the last few months. This seems down to time-outs when running the
query for wikidata, along with Faebot being throttled on labs (now
relaxed) and the more recent account problems needing rolling
automated log-outs for everyone. The newest requested addition is the
Outreach wiki.

See the meta page link above if you would like another wiki added
(after making sure your community is happy with the idea), or want
your account to be opted out of a current report.

Thanks,
Fae