Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all
Good news everyone,

Cheese articles are gonna get improved!

As french, it was dreadful for us to see so few illustrations of cheese on
Wikipedia. This is about to change.

A group of french Wikimedians, lead by Pierre-Yves Beaudouin, designed a
project to photograph many cheeses, up to 200 for the moment.

This project is perticular as we aim to have it found through a french
crowdfunding platform, KissKissBankBank.

Of course Wikimedia France could have funded it itself, but we wanted to
use the project as a way to get the larger audience aware of their ability
to contribute and to give a fun image of contributing.

The project in few words iss follow :
* 10 cheeses per session
* During the session the cheeses are photographed and their articles
improved
* During the sessions experimented wikimedian would train new editors
* At every session every participant would enjoy eating good cheese too

If you want to read more, or even contribute, about the project you can go
on KissKissBankBank : http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot them on or off list.

All the best,

--
Christophe
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I think that using crowdsourced funding platforms is a great model to
support the creation of photos for Wikimedia Commons, and it seems to draw
support from people outside the Wikipedia community.

I have seen success with a similar project in the past. User:Evan-Amos did
this some time ago with video game consoles.
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Evan-Amos>
<
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1699256938/the-vanamo-online-game-museum

Thanks for sharing.

yours,

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Christophe Henner <
christophe.henner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good news everyone,
>
> Cheese articles are gonna get improved!
>
> As french, it was dreadful for us to see so few illustrations of cheese on
> Wikipedia. This is about to change.
>
> A group of french Wikimedians, lead by Pierre-Yves Beaudouin, designed a
> project to photograph many cheeses, up to 200 for the moment.
>
> This project is perticular as we aim to have it found through a french
> crowdfunding platform, KissKissBankBank.
>
> Of course Wikimedia France could have funded it itself, but we wanted to
> use the project as a way to get the larger audience aware of their ability
> to contribute and to give a fun image of contributing.
>
> The project in few words iss follow :
> * 10 cheeses per session
> * During the session the cheeses are photographed and their articles
> improved
> * During the sessions experimented wikimedian would train new editors
> * At every session every participant would enjoy eating good cheese too
>
> If you want to read more, or even contribute, about the project you can go
> on KissKissBankBank :
> http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese
>

> If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot them on or off list.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Christophe

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814
lane@bluerasberry.com
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Fun, fascinating and simple idea that is a really good example of
innovative projects that can be run :-) Thanks for sharing.

I think that this project, like the Wikimedia Norway Nobel Peace Prize
announcement live-editathon a few months ago, show how Chapters and local
groups can take advantage of what makes their region special. By choosing a
subject that is close to everyone's daily life (especially in France!) this
makes for not only an enjoyable project, but a very clever way
of gaining public attention to the issue of free-knowledge. I see Wikimedia
France has been retweeting some mainstream media coverage which use the fun
subject of 'photos of cheese' to mention the importance of free licenses:
http://ecrans.liberation.fr/ecrans/2014/11/24/les-wikipediens-en-font-tout-un-fromage_1149760
And
http://www.numerama.com/magazine/31369-wikimedia-france-veut-gouter-200-fromages-et-les-documenter.html

Crowdfunding it separately also helps avoid anyone complaining about
whether Wikimedia donors' money was incorrectly spent on cheese-eating
parties :-)

Well done WM-Fr, I hope it is a success!
Perhaps other Chapters and local groups can look at improving Wikimedia's
coverage of their national/regional cuisine - and having a good time in
the process!?

-Liam

On Monday, 24 November 2014, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good news everyone,
>
> Cheese articles are gonna get improved!
>
> As french, it was dreadful for us to see so few illustrations of cheese on
> Wikipedia. This is about to change.
>
> A group of french Wikimedians, lead by Pierre-Yves Beaudouin, designed a
> project to photograph many cheeses, up to 200 for the moment.
>
> This project is perticular as we aim to have it found through a french
> crowdfunding platform, KissKissBankBank.
>
> Of course Wikimedia France could have funded it itself, but we wanted to
> use the project as a way to get the larger audience aware of their ability
> to contribute and to give a fun image of contributing.
>
> The project in few words iss follow :
> * 10 cheeses per session
> * During the session the cheeses are photographed and their articles
> improved
> * During the sessions experimented wikimedian would train new editors
> * At every session every participant would enjoy eating good cheese too
>
> If you want to read more, or even contribute, about the project you can go
> on KissKissBankBank :
> http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese
>

> If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot them on or off list.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Christophe

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
This is an awesome idea Christophe! I'm only jealous that I'm not in France
to take part (in the editing... editing... in no way do I want to be there
mostly for the eating of course).

Also, KissKissBankBank is an amazing name for a crowd funding site.

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Christophe Henner <

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
On 24 November 2014 at 20:37, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Crowdfunding it separately also helps avoid anyone complaining about
> whether Wikimedia donors' money was incorrectly spent on cheese-eating
> parties :-)
>
> Well done WM-Fr, I hope it is a success!
> Perhaps other Chapters and local groups can look at improving Wikimedia's
> coverage of their national/regional cuisine - and having a good time in
> the process!?

I'm contemplating a crowd-finding scheme to photograph all the rare
malt whiskies of Scotland...

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Thank you Christophe for your message. I'm the project leader of
WikiCheese. If you have any questions about this project, don't hesitate
to leave me a message.

I've organized a test session to have some visuals for the campaign. The
pictures are already on Commons
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikicheeses/0 [5]

Pyb

Le 2014-11-24 21:53, James Alexander a écrit :

> This is an awesome idea Christophe! I'm only jealous that I'm not in France
> to take part (in the editing... editing... in no way do I want to be there
> mostly for the eating of course).
>
> Also, KissKissBankBank is an amazing name for a crowd funding site.
>
> James Alexander
> Legal and Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Christophe Henner <
> christophe.henner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Good news everyone, Cheese articles are gonna get improved! As french, it was dreadful for us to see so few illustrations of cheese on Wikipedia. This is about to change. A group of french Wikimedians, lead by Pierre-Yves Beaudouin, designed a project to photograph many cheeses, up to 200 for the moment. This project is perticular as we aim to have it found through a french crowdfunding platform, KissKissBankBank. Of course Wikimedia France could have funded it itself, but we wanted to use the project as a way to get the larger audience aware of their ability to contribute and to give a fun image of contributing. The project in few words iss follow : * 10 cheeses per session * During the session the cheeses are photographed and their articles improved * During the sessions experimented wikimedian would train new editors * At every session every participant would enjoy eating good cheese too If you want to read more, or even contribute, about the project you can go on
KissKissBankBank : http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese [1] If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot them on or off list. All the best, -- Christophe _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines [2] Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/GuidelinesWikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org [3]> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l [4], <mailto:wikimedia-l-request@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

Links:
------
[1] http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/GuidelinesWikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
[5] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikicheeses/0
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
And next the wine project? Count me in.

On 24 November 2014 at 18:22, Christophe Henner <christophe.henner@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Good news everyone,
>
> Cheese articles are gonna get improved!
>
> As french, it was dreadful for us to see so few illustrations of cheese on
> Wikipedia. This is about to change.
>
> A group of french Wikimedians, lead by Pierre-Yves Beaudouin, designed a
> project to photograph many cheeses, up to 200 for the moment.
>
> This project is perticular as we aim to have it found through a french
> crowdfunding platform, KissKissBankBank.
>
> Of course Wikimedia France could have funded it itself, but we wanted to
> use the project as a way to get the larger audience aware of their ability
> to contribute and to give a fun image of contributing.
>
> The project in few words iss follow :
> * 10 cheeses per session
> * During the session the cheeses are photographed and their articles
> improved
> * During the sessions experimented wikimedian would train new editors
> * At every session every participant would enjoy eating good cheese too
>
> If you want to read more, or even contribute, about the project you can go
> on KissKissBankBank :
> http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese
>

> If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot them on or off list.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Christophe

*Jon Davies - Consultant to Wikimedia UK*. Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
So on the wine project, the issue is we would have to target wines bottled
before 1900, just to be quite sure there's no copyright issue on the wine
bottles labels.

Having said that, you could imagine the price we'd have to pay to run that
project.

On Twitter, last night, another wikimedian had a great idea. He suggested
that we would buy a mass spectrometer so we could digitaly record the smell
of the cheeses. Everyone could enjoy how smelly some are

--
Christophe

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Two other people are doing this right now also! Is this a coincidence?

<
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2056561545/tonythetiger-wikipedian-for-the-world-tttwftw

<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990377981/creative-commons-camera>

yours,

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Christophe Henner <

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
It is a coincidence^^ Thx for the links.

Pyb

Le 2014-11-25 14:14, Lane Rasberry a écrit :

> Two other people are doing this right now also! Is this a coincidence?
>
> <
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2056561545/tonythetiger-wikipedian-for-the-world-tttwftw [1]
> <https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990377981/creative-commons-camera [2]>
>
> yours,
>
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Christophe Henner <
> christophe.henner@gmail.com> wrote:
> So on the wine project, the issue is we would have to target wines bottled before 1900, just to be quite sure there's no copyright issue on the wine bottles labels. Having said that, you could imagine the price we'd have to pay to run that project. On Twitter, last night, another wikimedian had a great idea. He suggested that we would buy a mass spectrometer so we could digitaly record the smell of the cheeses. Everyone could enjoy how smelly some are -- Christophe On 25 November 2014 at 09:59, Jon Davies <jon.davies@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote: And next the wine project? Count me in. On 24 November 2014 at 18:22, Christophe Henner < christophe.henner@gmail.com wrote: Good news everyone, Cheese articles are gonna get improved! As french, it was dreadful for us to see so few illustrations of cheese on Wikipedia. This is about to change. A group of french Wikimedians, lead by Pierre-Yves Beaudouin, designed

>> project to photograph many cheeses, up to 200 for the moment. This project is perticular as we aim to have it found through a french crowdfunding platform, KissKissBankBank. Of course Wikimedia France could have funded it itself, but we wanted

>> use the project as a way to get the larger audience aware of their
> ability
>
>> to contribute and to give a fun image of contributing. The project in few words iss follow : * 10 cheeses per session * During the session the cheeses are photographed and their articles improved * During the sessions experimented wikimedian would train new editors * At every session every participant would enjoy eating good cheese too If you want to read more, or even contribute, about the project you can
> go
>
>> on KissKissBankBank : http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese [3] If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot them on or off
list.

>> All the best, -- Christophe _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines [4] Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l [5], <mailto:wikimedia-l-request@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
> -- *Jon Davies - Consultant to Wikimedia UK*. Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169 tweet @jonatreesdavies Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A
4LT.

> United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990. Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ [6] and @wikimediauk _______________________________________________ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines [4] Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l [5], <mailto:wikimedia-l-request@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

Pierre-Yves Beaudouin
Tél. : + 33 (0)6 84 11 44 69

Links:
------
[1]
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2056561545/tonythetiger-wikipedian-for-the-world-tttwftw
[2]
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990377981/creative-commons-camera
[3] http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[6] http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
We started an English version of the campaign [1]

--
Pyb

Links:
------
[1] http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/en/projects/wikicheese

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
What, with Cheddar, Red Leicester, Stilton, and other superior cheeses?

<G, D & R>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Wensleydale, you mean

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
wrote:

> What, with Cheddar, Red Leicester, Stilton, and other superior cheeses?

Wiki Loves Cheese 2015?

Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
On 26 November 2014 at 18:07, Luis Villa <lvilla@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Wiki Loves Cheese 2015?

Sorry, American cousins, cheese in cans doesn't count ;-)

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
It's an encyclopaedia, the cheeses don’t have to be superior.
Cheers,
Peter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Today our campaign became 50% funded [0]! Funding on KissKissBankBank is
similar as Kickstarter. It's all-or-nothing. No one will be charged for
a pledge towards a project unless it reaches its funding goal.

There is a large press coverage, even outside the country (Der Spiegel,
The Telegraph, Mediafax from Romania, etc. [1]).

We would like to translate our campaign in Dutch, German, Italian and
Spanish [2]. Could you help us ? I don't have time to write the message
that the Spanish and Italian versions are already finished ;)

Thx a lot for your help.

Pyb

[0] in French http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese [1]

in English http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/en/projects/wikicheese [2]

[1]
http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese/wall#revue-de-presse--12
[3]

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCheese [4]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese
[2] http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/en/projects/wikicheese
[3]
http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/projects/wikicheese/wall#revue-de-presse--12
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCheese
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Forget that, I'd like WMUK to fly me to Scotland so that I can, uh,
"research" and write about various types of whisky.

Cheers,
Craig

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Me too me too!
But before, Brussels on beer.

Aubrey

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Forget about Scotland and Belgium,

We have all you need in Switzerland, come before we close the chapter!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Balvenie_bottle.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chimay_triple.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Quality_images_supported_by_Wikimedia_CH_-_Photo_studio

Charles

Ps: sorry for the poor quality of the picture but the mailing list has a 100ko limit policy!
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
Maybe I missed something. Is Switzerland's chapter closing?

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
I vote for Brussels & beer, I tasted them the past weeks and it asks for
more.

The day before yesterday I heard that some beers from Brussels are typical
Brussels as the region has a special local micro climate.

But I must say, I think it is good to document cheese, as well as other
food/drinks, we should have more photos with better quality. I really hope
this contributes to this.

Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
PS: I can recommend the beers: Kriek, Framboise, Peche, and some more. But
it is recommend to drink these in Brussels to experience the region where
it belongs to.

In London I can recommend a Honey Dew!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
I recommend Trappist Rochefort 10, and gulden draak ;)

Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia France] WikiCheese crowdfunding - Let's photograph 'em all [ In reply to ]
This is the best OT in wikimedia-l ever.

Aubrey