Mailing List Archive

On the road again....
So... in march 2005, after several people expressed their wish to become
stewards AND after many people complained that the current stewards were
too slow... I suggested that new stewards elections be held.

More than 2 months later, we still have no new stewards. And those
suffering of this are 1) stewards and 2) those waiting for things to get
done.

Now... nothing happened because Jimbo suggested that stewards be
nominated rather than elected, due to the reason steward is a
"technical" position.

Steward is indeed essentially a technical position, just as sysops are.
And sysops are approved by the community, not nominated. This is how
things are done on all projects and I see no reason why it would be
different for stewards.

I read those fears that it would be a big mess, that we were sick of
votes and that only english stewards would be elected. I think it has no
ground. The first set of stewards was absolutely not english only, so
there is no reason to have any fears. and when elections were suggested,
about 10 people made their candidacy known, not a flow of candidacies.
For all I remember, most were good people we know quite well.

I am tired of seeing this issue not fixed. So I opened the vote. It will
stay open for two weeks. After two weeks, one of the current steward
will make the most approved people stewards, and that will be it. We'll
have a flow of votes in the next week, so best to do it all of them at
once and be done for a while.

Please, consider it a sort of sysop election. The issue is not to only
*like* a person. It is not a popularity contest. The goal is to have the
job done. Half of the stewards elected last year are inactive. Please
let us avoid this and not make it a big deal of it. Just quietly say
"yes" to those you think can help. Say "no" if you think the person is
nice but will not help.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2005

Please...

Ant
Re: On the road again.... [ In reply to ]
Anthere:
> Please, consider it a sort of sysop election. The issue is not to only
> *like* a person. It is not a popularity contest. The goal is to have the
> job done. Half of the stewards elected last year are inactive. Please
> let us avoid this and not make it a big deal of it. Just quietly say
> "yes" to those you think can help. Say "no" if you think the person is
> nice but will not help.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2005

Thank you, Anthere, for moving forward with this. It was indeed about
time, and I hope that this will reduce some of your workload on top of
your Board duties, as both you and Angela are stewards (talk about
commitment!).

I have added a brief note that developers with shell/database access
cannot serve as stewards, as this was, I believe, our initial agreement
when this role was created.

All best,

Erik
Re: On the road again.... [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller a écrit:
> Anthere:
>
>> Please, consider it a sort of sysop election. The issue is not to only
>> *like* a person. It is not a popularity contest. The goal is to have
>> the job done. Half of the stewards elected last year are inactive.
>> Please let us avoid this and not make it a big deal of it. Just
>> quietly say "yes" to those you think can help. Say "no" if you think
>> the person is nice but will not help.
>>
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2005
>

> Thank you, Anthere, for moving forward with this. It was indeed about
> time, and I hope that this will reduce some of your workload on top of
> your Board duties, as both you and Angela are stewards (talk about
> commitment!).
>
> I have added a brief note that developers with shell/database access
> cannot serve as stewards, as this was, I believe, our initial agreement
> when this role was created.
>
> All best,

> Erik

Nod.