Mailing List Archive

Back... and Africa
Hiya !

I am back from my holidays in Marroco. I took less pictures than usual,
because I lost my camera... borrowed my husband one (being less used to
it, I messed a lot of pictures), then run out of batteries in a rather
desertic environnment...

Well... inch' allah.
I put two of myself on commons. I need to label the other ones. One is
taken in Agadir medina (a nice reconstitution awarded sustainable
tourism), the other in Aglou, 80 km south of Agadir (nothing but big
sand beaches, kids playing football, and women covered from head to
toe), with at best a face visible, at worse, nothing really. One
hotel... closed.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User%3AAnthere

Anyway, my holidays were real nice...
I did not look at a computer, and made only one use of phone from a
telecabine (amazingly widespread in Marroco).

Two comments related to wikipedia possibly...

First, I met a journalist from l'economist.com over there. A woman. She
was actually interviewing my husband :-) So... I hope we can expand our
coverage over there in the next few weeks :-)

Second, I was invited to a congress, not directly related to wikipedia,
but to my professional background. This meeting is a bit special, since
it is the meeting of women geoscientists in Africa. Took place in South
africa once, in Uganda the second time, Marocco should be third time.
Well, I met two of the organisers, shared oriental danses with them, as
well as 4 nice evenings actually... and here it is.

This meeting is in great part a way of reminding that women can also be
involved in research, or generally in their countries development. I
could join it as my real self (and suggest a couple of good friends
working on soil fertility in Africa to join as well)... but I have been
thinking that a conference on "sharing knowledge", "giving power to
people to educate" and similar issues... might be of interest...
especially if we succeed to make a little bit of PR around that. It
would be a nice mixing of people and communities... as well as great
support of really truely amazing women.

I must say I was very saddened by the condition of women there... in
regression compared to what it was 10 years ago... most of them veiled
(which is okay), but many also quite visibly "hidden" behind the man and
in huge pieces of clothes which left little possibility to move.
I actually had a bad experience one evening as I was walking alone in
the streets, in spite of being very much covered that day, and trying
not to be noticed at all. I managed to go back to the hotel by refusing
to talk/answer, keeping eyes low, trying to pretend I was with other
groups... and navigating from one policeman to the next.

I must confess I found it delightful to eat only pastries at lunch...
but it is unfortunate that I had to stick to pastries due to the fact a
woman alone in a restaurant is just NOT an option.

Anyway... there is a lot to do there and I hope we can participate.

Anthere