Mailing List Archive

Proposal: a cross-local chapters list?
As local chapters tend to flourish here and there, I am thinking that
it would be a good idea that we start a new mailing list (yeah, don't
scream ;) ) something like wikichapters-l.

The idea behind this would be:
- Exchange of best practices (how to set up a local chapter, how it
works, what it does, what works and what doesn't)
- Common chapter projects (How can we work together to set up
cross-language and cross-country projects)

Why? for example, we have just been made aware of a very interesting
European programme on the French mailing list (see
http://europa.eu.int/information_society/activities/econtentplus/docs/programme/econtentplus_decision_en.pdf
for more info), and this should be pursued by all European Chapters
together.

Sending that kind of information to separate language or chapter
mailing list is good, so that debates can go on in a preferred
language, but a "general" chapter list would allow to keep everybody
who's interested in what goes on in different areas of the world
informed at the same time.

I am thinking of an open mailing list, where anyone interested in
cross-cultural and cross-country projects can register, preferred
language English, or at least partial translations in English of
proposed projects/ideas etc.

What do you think? Does is sound necessary? Or should everything be
kept here on Foundation?

Delphine
~notafish
Re: Proposal: a cross-local chapters list? [ In reply to ]
This sounds like a helpful idea to keep on a back burner... for the
time being, there is not so much foundation-l traffic that it is a
burden. Perhaps we could start by discussing these issues more on
this list; then people would know better whether they wanted to sign
up for the new list when it is formed.

For starters, it might be interesting to discuss how various
international organizations handle separate dues and memberships for
local, national, and international organizations.
The Special Libarian's Association, for example, has separate
membership, dues, and privileges by region and country. These go
towards covering the costs of local meetings and conferences.

SJ