Jeandré proposed on meta that Wikijunior pursue funding from the Shuttleworth Foundation (http://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org) for a Wikijunior Afrikaans print edition, to complement the English edition funded by the Beck Foundation.

According to the Shuttleworth site:
"We invest in projects which offer unique and innovative, albeit high-risk, solutions to educational challenges in an African society, focussing on the areas of Science, Technology, Entrepreneurship and Maths (STEM) in education and open source software."

This may limit us primarily to our "A World of Innovation" issues, but nevertheless gets our foot in the South African door.

The Foundation actually runs their own wiki to record information about their projects (http://wiki.tsf.org.za/shuttleworthfoundationwiki).

So, who is in charge of applying for grants? I want to work with them to pursue this possibility.

- Nick Moreau/Zanimum

PS Anyone interested in what the Wikibooks sub-project will be named, I'm trying to narrow the name game down by 6 possibilities every week, allowing people a chance to "save" a name before its retired from the running.

Re: Re: foundation-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 17 [ In reply to ]
On 4/16/05, Nicholas Moreau <beaubeaver@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Jeandré proposed on meta that Wikijunior pursue funding from the Shuttleworth Foundation (http://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org) for a Wikijunior Afrikaans print edition, to complement the English edition funded by the Beck Foundation.

Sounds like a neat idea. iirc, there was some discussion of other
Shuttleworth grants late last year; they certainly seem like the kind
of foundation that would be eager to support Wikimedia projects.

> PS Anyone interested in what the Wikibooks sub-project will be named, I'm trying to narrow the name game down by 6 possibilities every week, allowing people a chance to "save" a name before its retired from the running.

I assume you mean from this page:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikijunior_project_name

I like Keiki, myself. I don't know how "wiki" this particular project
will be in the end.

--
+sj+