Mailing List Archive

PixelAche
First, thanks for the public and private support you
offered me. I feel better now, and physically, things
look okay now.

Just a short word as the museum is closing soon and I
am on a loaned computer (really nice guy left it to me
for a little while).

The presentation today in Helsinki went very well.
Wikipedia was offered a full hour for presentation and
questions, very generous time ;-) Most of the audience
was Nokia, plus some artists, people from the museum
and organisers. 40 or 50 people I think. The Nokia
organiser is setting up a wiki himself, so we also
discussed mediawiki and community building privately
afterwards.... busy building human network ;-)

I wish that more of you live this kind of experience,
because it is always great to present Wikipedia, as
most of the audience (everyone today probably) is SO
excited by the whole project. It is really a very
powerful experience. There is a third presentation on
saturday, which should be the largest one by far.

There would be plenty of things to relate, but...short
of time.

One funny thing happened yesterday in Stockholm. There
was a french correspondant for Le Figaro, and she
absolutely tried to know what was Jimbo opinion on
politics, what was his religion... it seems she was
trying to uncover a huge conspiracy.... so... Jimbo, I
blew up your cover sorry, I admitted you were a
communist muslim under cover, trying to throw a world
revolution....

Journalists have so strange ideas sometimes.... she
just could not imagine this could be done.... just
because it is worth it in itself.... rather than to
push a specific pov... (though freeing information is
in itself a pov... but well...)

more seriously, I was absolutely amazed by the
confusion in people minds (even those who claim to
work on free and/or open projects) of what is open,
what is free, what do licences mean... I think we have
a lot of work to do to explain those things.... BEFORE
we can go ask to... for example... governmental
organisations to "please, free content". While even
those who are near professionals of libre, gratis and
open are confused, I do not think officials are neatly
informed to a sufficient level about the implications
for us, them and everyone, to take a fully informed
decision on freeing content.

Anyway, that was my philosophical thought tonight....
now I will go for a beer.

My best to all of you.

/me under cover, preparing revolution with Naeem (http://www.disappearedinamerica.org/)

Yahoo! Mail Mobile