Mailing List Archive

Wikimedia Poland
I've wanted to inform everyone who isn't aware yet, that the Polish
Wikimedia community started to plan the upcoming of the Wikimedia
Poland community, which would act as a local chapter to the Wikimedia
Foundation.

Right now, we're gathering info and informing users on the good and
the bad sides of having a more "legal" way of operating the Polish
projects.

We need at least 15 interested people to start the organization. We
won't spend almost any money on start, apart from some basic
registration fees (a few dollars) and a domain - Wikimedia.pl.

The current list of people interested in founding the organization is
listed over on meta, to be more precise, here -
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Polska#Lista_ch.C4.99tnych

We haven't informed the local communities on anything yet. First we
want to gather more info, and when we'll actually have the first real
participants and some words of courage, we'll post the info on every
local village pump in every project.

Now, my only question is, what should we exactly do after registering
our organization, to become a local Wikimedia chapter?

I'll try to inform foundation-l on any new progress as soon as it happens.

--
Best regards,
Dariusz Siedlecki
Re: Wikimedia Poland [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Le Tuesday 12 April 2005 16:02, Dariusz Siedlecki a écrit :
> I've wanted to inform everyone who isn't aware yet, that the Polish
> Wikimedia community started to plan the upcoming of the Wikimedia
> Poland community, which would act as a local chapter to the Wikimedia
> Foundation.

Welcome to Wikimedia Poland. ;o)

> Right now, we're gathering info and informing users on the good and
> the bad sides of having a more "legal" way of operating the Polish
> projects.
>
> We need at least 15 interested people to start the organization. We
> won't spend almost any money on start, apart from some basic
> registration fees (a few dollars) and a domain - Wikimedia.pl.
>
> The current list of people interested in founding the organization is
> listed over on meta, to be more precise, here -
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Polska#Lista_ch.C4.99tnych
>
> We haven't informed the local communities on anything yet. First we
> want to gather more info, and when we'll actually have the first real
> participants and some words of courage, we'll post the info on every
> local village pump in every project.
>
> Now, my only question is, what should we exactly do after registering
> our organization, to become a local Wikimedia chapter?

I think this has to be written in the bylaws.
Wikimédia France is a legal representant of Wikimedia Foundation Inc. in
France, as defined in the bylaws.

AFAIK, Wikimedia Deutschland has chosen a less formal status.

> I'll try to inform foundation-l on any new progress as soon as it happens.

Regards,

Yann
Secretary of Wikimédia France

--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence
http://www.forget-me.net/ | Alternatives sur le Net
Re: Wikimedia Poland [ In reply to ]
> Welcome to Wikimedia Poland. ;o)

Greetings too.

> I think this has to be written in the bylaws.
> Wikimédia France is a legal representant of Wikimedia Foundation Inc. in
> France, as defined in the bylaws.

This is written in the bylaws, yes, and we have two contractual agreements with Wikimedia Foundation, one for logo / trademarks use, one for legal stuff.

Regards

Nicolas Weeger

Re: Wikimedia Poland [ In reply to ]
--- Dariusz Siedlecki <datrio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now, we're gathering info and informing users on the good and
> the bad sides of having a more "legal" way of operating the Polish
> projects.

Chapters are not charged with operating projects. They most certainly are not
charged with operating specific language versions of projects. The purpose of
chapters is to provide a legal presence in a nation and to help organize *all*
Wikimedia-related activities in that nation.

-- mav

http://mail.yahoo.com
Re: Wikimedia Poland [ In reply to ]
Dariusz,

I would like to invite you and one or two other prominent pl.wikipedia
users to join juriwiki-l to discuss the
details of this with the legal team. There are a lot of options and
choices that we can talk about.

I'm very excited to see this development. I hope that I can come to
Poland for an organizational meeting...
I am very happy that I attended the first big organizational meeting of
the de and fr chapters, and this is a tradition
I would like to continue if I can. :-)

--Jimbo